Monday, March 1, 2010

I can see!

Friday afternoon I took the plunge and had corrective eye surgery. Not LASIK, but its sister, PRK which most people haven't heard of. I recently learned that PRK was invented first and received FDA approval first, but that it isn't as well known because, though it eventually has the same exact result as LASIK, the days of recovery do include some pain, discomfort, burning, ... you name it. Well, I've experienced all of that and it was not fun. But 4 days later, my vision is pretty good (it will get better over the next couple of weeks--lack of immediate results is another reason it is less favored than LASIK) and I am starting to feel good again. We opted for PRK over LASIK because my corneas had some scarring from prolonged contact use and with PRK the laser actually shaves on your cornea (LASIK shaves underneath). It's pretty exciting to finally have better vision...I've been blind for SO long! I'll let you know how it is when it all settles in to what it's going to be. :)

7 comments:

Ming said...

I'm so glad it went well! That will be so amazing to be able to see first thing in the morning. Something I definitely take for granted everyday.

mama bear said...

In my opinion, words like "shaving" and "cornea" just shouldn't be used in the same sentence! I'm such a baby I don't think I'll ever be able to take that plunge. Guess I'll have to be blind forever. So glad it went well for you though, that will be so nice!

amydear said...

Very cool. You are brave to let someone operate on your eyes. How fun it will be to have a new perspective on the world.

Emily said...

You are very brave. I always say I want to do it one day but I am scared to death of having someone shave my corneas. LOL That is very exciting and I can't wait to hear how you like it! :)

Unknown said...

scary as it sounds I'd still like to be in your shoes. fun stuff.

Unknown said...

scary as it sounds I'd still like to be in your shoes. fun stuff.

Angie said...

Congrats lady! That's exciting. That's really awesome.