This is a post I've been wanting to write for awhile, but I have had three obstacles: the first is writer's block--I just can't seem to envision the words to capture our life in a nutshell this last 6 weeks. The second is time. Though I deeply desired to chronicle things, we've been on a fast track and getting off to do anything non-essential has been tricky. The last reason is hard to explain without the coming details, but my mind just isn't ticking along the way it should--I've been in a brain fog which makes writing anything of substance (or at least pleasing to me) difficult.
All that being said, this morning I've decided to forge ahead and getter done. I've decided that impaired quality is still better than missing the moment--and it's just about been missed. So here we go ...
Last month I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
On September 9th I had surgery to remove the left half of my thyroid. We had discovered a few months prior that there were some small nodules on it and after a failed biopsy and a consult with a surgeon, I had reluctantly decided that the only way to rule out cancer was to have it removed. I guess going in, I knew that cancer was a possibility ... but they gave my odds of having it at 10%. This surgery was more "just being thorough".
So when the call came on Monday morning (the 16th) and the doctor said the "C-word", I felt like a balloon that had just been popped. D was eating cereal with the kids in the kitchen and I rushed there. I stood next to him, my rock, mouthing "It's cancer" with a look of disbelief on my face, all the while being reassured on the phone by my doctor. I eventually hung up and let him hold me while I cried.
Throughout the day we learned more about the kind of cancer I had and had a chance to examine the pathology report. Everything held good news. Papillary thyroid carcinoma is a slow-growing cancer and very curable; my nodules were very small (1.2 and 3.7 mm); the margins were good; there was a benign lymph node present ... all of these things were comforting in the wake of a frightening diagnosis. My biggest fear at this point was the second surgery I expected. I still had the other half of my thyroid, after all.
As it turned out, the surgeon thought a good option would be to leave it in and watch it, but in spite of my dread of a second surgery so close to the first, I was uncomfortable with that option and asked to go ahead and take it out. We scheduled the surgery for that Friday (the 20th) and my sweet mother got a plane ticket to come to my rescue. She flew in the day before the surgery and stayed for 10 days, helping me recover. And pack.
Because on top of all of this, we had sold our house and were closing on October 1st. Thankfully, we had been working hard and had finished much of the packing and even had moved a lot to storage. But as anyone who has moved knows, there is ALWAYS more to do.
Here I am on the other end, though. The second surgery also showed cancer, a 7 mm nodule. Again, we had good margins, and a benign lymph node. All cancer is out and I don't need radiation therapy! (best news this week) I'm working on getting my medication leveled (which explains my foggy brain and tiredness). We moved as planned, and the four kids, Dave and I, and the bulk of our furniture are now squeezing around one another in a 1300 sq ft house, waiting for the home we are building to be finished.
Life is good. I am grateful.
Honestly, from the very day I got the diagnosis and began to learn about what the adventure ahead of me would entail, I have been full of gratitude . . . gratitude for the feelings I followed that led to the diagnosis; gratitude for the thorough PA who diagnosed it; gratitude that we caught it so early and that it is 100% curable; gratitude that I don't have to have the radiation therapy; gratitude for the prayers of my vast support network; gratitude for a gifted surgeon who talked me into the surgery in the first place; gratitude for the gentle love from my husband who is always calm in the midst of my storms; and gratitude for my faith in a loving Heavenly Father which lets me know that nothing in this life has to be faced alone or on my own strength.
I have a lovely scar across the base of my neck and I hope that when I look at it every day in the mirror, I can remember to have a heart full of gratitude for life, for trials, and for the people we get to share our days with.
17 comments:
Oh my sweet cousin you have been on my mind constantly for the last month. I have prayed and prayed for you!So glad to hear such good news. It seems when life brings us trials it is always during an already challenging period in our lives. I am so inspired by your gratitude and faithfulness. Your testimony strengthens mine ans it always has. i love you and will continue to pray for your full recovery!!
Emily, thanks so much for sharing this. I love what you said about your scar. What a sweet reminder that we all carry scars of all kinds-physical, emotional, etc.-and we can either feel bitter about them or treasure them as a reminder of the goodness of God. In moments of weakness sometimes I ponder my own scars and start to feel very, very down-wishing somehow that they might have never gotten there. But as I set aside my pride and focus on my Savior, I am reminded of all the growth and blessings that have come as He has rushed to my rescue. Those are tender experiences.
On a side note, I just had my fourth annual appointment to check on my own thyroid nodules. Fortunately, mine are all benign. I'm grateful for several thyroid cancer surviver friends, like you, who remind me that's it's better to be safe than sorry.
I hope your recovery continues to go well as you get moved in and keep up with all those beautiful children!
Good thing I haven't put on my mascara yet today, because now I'm teary-eyed! So thankful you were blessed and got through cancer without too much turmoil. Continue to take it easy, if possible! Hope the house building goes well and you can enjoy the holidays there with your family. Love you!
Oh Gosh Em! What a crazy ride this life is, huh!? Can I just say I hate cancer! It has touched too many people in my life! I am so grateful to hear that things are looking great and your surgeries went well. Ahhh. Sooooooo happy you are healthy! You are amazing. So grateful you have awesome support. I will keep you in my prayers as you heal. HUGS. Love you lots! Em
oh and one last HUG for good measure. ;) XO
Wow. We just can't escape this life without trials, can we? I am so happy that you can see the glass as half full, even in the midst of this huge, huge challenge (that I'm sure has residual effects have been left out of the story for one reason or another). You are a woman of faith - and that makes all the difference. Many prayers will be sent your way - thank you for sharing.
Emily, this is a beautiful testament to your strength and the power of life. Thanks for putting a fire under me to work even harder.
You are loved. You are strong and pretty amazing!
I feel uplifted! You will forever be grateful you recorded this. I, unfortunately have not been recording my journey this past year and know that I MUST. I am happy for you. I know our Heavenly Father cares for us and blesses us always. There is ALWAYS something to be grateful for and I am grateful you chose to share!
Oh Emily, I had no idea! What a strong women you are. I can't imagine all that you have been going through and moving on top of that. What wonderful news that things were caught early on an that the hand of the Lord has been guiding you through this process. Through every trial I have gone through I have felt the Savior by my side and know that your testimony will grow even more from this. If you ever need me to watch your kiddos please don't hesitate to ask. They are gems, just like their mother.
Wow, that is a crazy month. I am so happy that things worked out well for you. You are an amazing person. I really miss you and your family.
Hi Emily~
It's Emily W. From Ann Arbor University Ward.
For some reason, I was thinking about you the last couple of days and today thought to check on you, remembering that you have this blog which I haven't seen in a long while. What a beautiful (and grown up!) family you have!
Thank your for you example of courage as you choose peace through trial and embrace adversity with a grateful heart.
So glad to have a moment to read this so I can pray for you, too.
All the best to you and your family.
When I saw 'life changing' in your blog post title I never expected to hear you were diagnosed with cancer. I cannot imagine what you have gone through in such a short time frame. You are so strong. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Thank you for your wonderful example of faith through trials.
Love you!
What an ordeal to say the least. I'm so glad you felt like you needed to get tested and to have it all removed. What a blessing to be so in tune with the spirit and to act on your feelings...even if you felt like a crazy person. I'm so grateful the outcome is a positive one. You made it through it. You're amazing!
Emily you are so strong. Thanks for your example and words of wisdom. You are amazing. I am soooo happy everything has worked out well for you and your family. I wish I could have helped you with dinner and kids. One of these days we will meet up again and Tyler can sing you his version of the "Emma Doodle" song we stole from you, for our Emma. Love Always, Bethany
UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT
Post a Comment