Thursday, September 29, 2011

Appreciating my Newborn



Man Cub is pure joy. I am in heaven with my little man and am SO thankful for how sweet he is. I knew Queenie was difficult, and I knew I struggled--but now by contrast I feel sad to realize how much joy I missed with that newborn. I loved her completely, but our newborn months were spent in survival mode, her miserable with colic and acid reflux, and me desperate to ease her pain and to love her while clinging to some form of sanity; concurrently balancing the guilt of neglecting my other kids. Plus we were in the throes of starting D's business and we had moved into our new home 3 weeks prior to her birth. In hindsight, I should have seen the massive trial of that time of life coming. This experience is so very different.

I've been pondering why I am so happy this time. It feels easier and more natural than even when I had my first or second babies. Of course, there are many factors, but I think a lot of it is because of my experience with Queenie (third). I found this in a religion article from the Washington Post:

"I am not complaining,” my father wrote to my mother from war-ravaged Europe during the closing days of World War 2, when he finally reached the safety of American lines after three years as a POW. “I would not appreciate comfort if there were no hardship. We cannot appreciate joy without sorrow, health if we have never felt pain, or peace until after a war. All things must have their opposites, and we can learn from both."

There is much I could say about that, including quoting a scripture or two from the Book of Mormon (2 Nephi anyone?) but mostly I feel like because it was so hard, so frustrating, and such a dark time for me, the ease and brightness are more exquisite this time around. And I am soaking it up and appreciating it in a way I wouldn't have before. I could regret my attitude with my first babies, feeling like I didn't fully inhale their essence, but I think I appreciated them as best as I was able to then. And this makes me grateful, so grateful, for that trial I endured with sweet Queenie. I don't love her any less ... if anything I was even more protective of her after our rough start. And we have a different bond, because in the end, she got me through the trial as much as she was a part of it.

I've rambled long enough. I meant this to be a short update. I'm not sure anyone reads this anymore anyway, but if you do--I hope you followed my thoughts. :)


PS As I reread this post, I need to make clear that I realize the 'trial' I went through with Queenie was not all that severe ... I am in NO WAY comparing myself to the POW survivor I quoted and I fully recognize that even having a child, regardless of her temperament, is a tremendous blessing. But we all have times in our lives where things feel especially difficult and this is my analysis of one of those times for me.

10 comments:

Cluff Family said...

I have been on both sides of the fence and appreciate your perpective. I am so happy for your beautiful new one and his even temperement. You deserve it!

Cherish said...

I agree 100%. I felt the same way after having the twins.
He is so handsome...I want to kiss those cheeks!!! Glad you are doing well and enjoying him. :)

Emily said...

Um he is adorable. In fact I think you have some of the cutest kiddos ever. Little side note. As for your post...glad you are having a good time with your little man. The hard times do help us be more grateful for the good. Glad you get to experience it all this time. :) Luvs.

Unknown said...

Beautifully captured and expressed.

amydear said...

I am glad you and L are having such blissful days together. As someone who's going through a hard(er) week, I get both sides of it. He looks a lot like your brothers, don't you think? Still miss you!

Ming said...

The PS is not necessary. Your experience is your experience and you deserve to be validated as much as anyone else. A trial is a trial, no matter the size. I thought this was beautifully put and I'm just so happy for your happy little man cub.

Crystal said...

nicely put. My boy was such a sweetheart too, but now we are in the throngs of a sleepless newborn with acid reflux as well with some very frustrating days and nights-thanks for the insight.

jan said...

Love this post and that baby. He just looks so cuddly.

Meridith said...

Shoot. That scares me for my future. . . Does it really take a fussy, colicky babe? I appreciate your post and can't wait to huggle that sweet little guy!

Mays and Matt said...

I loved this. Will Thanksgiving get here already so I can kiss him?!