Late at night, I stare at the whirring ceiling fan and imagine it. 5:15, wake up. 5:30, run, 6:30 morning routine, 7:00 wake up Ellie ... and on it goes. It gets more intense, though. Right down to organizing weekly meals (Mondays breakfasts all the same, for instance) or this one:
Dinner routine--kids happily setting table, kitchen sink clear, balanced dinner on table, napkins on laps, happy family. Everyone cleaning up together ...
In other words, an organized, perfectly run household filled with organized, perfectly polite (and content) children and husband.
Yeah, right. You see how this has gotten a little out of hand. And, of course, I see it too. I know that this is not exactly realistic, nor would it be very healthy, fun, or spontaneous. But the basic underlying principles are good ones. I do need more structure and organization in my day-to-day operations. And it has been a very long time (since the birth of Queenie, in fact) since I have really felt on top of it. I want to feel on top of it again. I want to have time to bake bread, dust off my sewing machine, and catch up on the photo albums (none of these things have been done even once in the past year.
Does anybody have any good (basic) tips for starting a household organization system? Or a dinner system? Or just any good tips at all? I'm guessing that this time of year has brought out similar feelings in more than one mother out there.
12 comments:
The only organization thing I feel I have a handle on is the two week menu. Brian gets paid every Friday, so every Saturday I sit down and plan two weeks worth of dinners. I just write them on a big sticky note. Fridays are always pizza nights, then I have my "regulars" that I throw on there, like spaghetti w/ garlic bread, tacos, whatever. Before I fill in my foods I write down any special things going on that might impact dinner. Like the missionaries coming to eat, or Brian having meetings. Once my menu is full I start filling in my grocery list with everything I need. I write my list on a sheet of notebook paper that I have organized by aisle of the store (we only have one store in town, so I've got it memorized). I also keep a second small list of the things I will need to buy the next weekend (like produce that won't last in my fridge until I need it for a meal). This makes my shopping trips quick and organized and I know exactly what I have on hand and what meals I can make. Don't forget to put lunch and breakfast items on your list, too. But I don't worry as much about them. I just make sure we have bread, applesauce, cereal, that kinda stuff. Sometimes I end up swapping dinners. If Thursday I have a migrane and making meatloaf just isn't what I want to do, I'll throw in the frozen pizza that was supposed to be for Friday.
I have tried several methods over the years and this has worked the best for me. I find the two week schedule cheaper and much less work. I only have to do big shopping trips twice a month and I don't have to play the "what's for dinner" game every night. I just look on my post it note stuck on my cabinet and I'm good to go. Helps with remembering to get meat out to thaw, too.
Something that worked for me once upon a time was a "daily chore list" for myself. Monday was bathrooms, sweeping, my room, load of whites. Tuesday was mopping, toyroom, dusting, load of towels. Wednesday... etc. I think I fell off this wagon when I was pregnant, but it really worked. I through working out and scripture reading on there, too. When my list of "HAVE TO DOs" was broken down to only six things it didn't seem so overwhelming. Instead of feeling like I had to clean the whole house, I knew I only needed to do one bathroom and sweep and a load of laundry. I didn't stress about other stuff because I knew there was a day for it coming up.
I know lots of gals who have found great success with flylady.net, but I found the constant emails distracting and annoying. My list I explained above was kind of my low key interpretation of what she does.
Good luck. I'm sorry this went on forever. I too am on the eternal quest for sanity and organization. I also typed this without my glasses on, so any typos can be attributed to that. ;)
I love this post! Here's my idea for having a perfectly organized life: stop having children.
Hahaha.
Love the previous poster's solution to having an organized life... :) Here's my tip: start small. I like to think of it in the same way as perfecting my spiritual life. Pick a few small goals, get in the habit, add some more, etc, etc. For instance, commit to having planned dinner meals (menu calendar, whatever) for a couple weeks or so. Once you feel comfortable and habitual there, go for working on table manners or something related. Of course, this is some wonderful advice that I never follow since I'm a terrible procrastinator. Good luck to you and may you be blessed w/more motivation that me... :)
I don't think you want to be completely organized really- So, pick which things are most important to you to be orderly in your life and then- Let the rest of it go for now. My mom would probably say that there's a season for everything.
Wow!! Why did I ever stop blogging? I have missed this support network. Great comments, everyone. I am still open for more, so keep 'em coming.
Susie, lol--so very, very true. I guess I can live in disorder for awhile. :)
I know this isn't helpful - but I have been living your post for 18 years now. It is always the same old story. But now, my oldest is off to college and my youngest is off to kindergarten, so I have every intention of making good on my goals this year! Best of luck to both of us!!!!!
I too do a dinner menu. I used to do it for two weeks but since our fridge went out and the landlord replaced it with one half the size I can only fit 1-1 1/2 weeks worth of stuff in there. It helped Sam and I cut down on trips out because I didn't know what to make or hadn't prepared for the meal. We have budgeted one meal out a week and this is put into the schedule as well. I second the previous in that the menu is flexible so if you are not feeling like making whatever is on the menu that night you can switch to something else or use up your going out night (be careful with these). I don't have a chore system but my mother in law has a system with weekly chores, monthly chores, etc. She is the cleanest lady I know. I don't know if I can match her but it is a good idea in theory. Good luck and always cut yourself some slack. You have three beautiful girls and if they need something I imagine the dishes/laundry/etc can wait.
Em-
I SO need to be more structured than I am. I keep thinking that but its just so nice to sleep in when I can and just go with the flow. I guess I am just taking advantage until Warren starts Kindergarten next year. :) I need to start doing a menu again too. In the past when I have done it I find I don't spend half hour deciding what to make and therefore dinner is more consistent, healthy and at a decent hour. ;)
One thing that helps me is setting limits on how much time I can spend doing certain things. (Talking on the phone, facebook are my two time wasters). I think its good to have specific times to do things like reading, cleaning, exercise, etc. and then just sort of go with the flow in between those times. That way you don't lose your spontaneity, etc. I try to listen to my scriptures at night when I am winding down cleaning up, after the boys are in bed.
Let us know what works best for you. :) I need ideas too.
Okay, so here's my real comment. The whole "don't have more kids" thing just doesn't work with a people who are commanded to multiply and replenish.
Anyhow, I've tried many things over the past six years that don't work. Here are a couple that do:
1. Always be ready before the kids. I was given this advice a few years ago and I laughed out loud - my kids wake up at obscenely early hours sometimes. I've found that the days I have put my things in order before having to tackle family affairs, I can truly dedicate myself and things simply get done when I don't have my daily shower still hanging over my head.
2. Teaching my kids to work. This one requires SO much effort at the front end, but at the end of the day I find that my kids are more self-sufficient and confident in knowing that they contributed to the family. I started them at age two with clearing their plates from the table and have graduated to having them fold and put their laundry away, clean bathrooms, change diapers, etc. I'm sure you do much of this already, but it's one of those things that has really been worth the effort I've put in (and will continue to be, I hope).
I love that your first "back to blogging" post is YOU asking for organization advice. This is hilarious because I can remember when you lived in grandma's house you showing me several lists and charts I envied, as well as always seem to have a Tupperware tub for everything. Queenie has throw you off a bit I guess, but I am sure you will soon be back to the "most organized person" I am acquainted with spot soon.
I really have no advice to offer, just simple laws of nature which include you can have a clean house or get a project done- but not both- not with children who move!
This is one area I do pretty well at, and here are a couple of "tricks" from my trade. Ha.
1. Make a list of all the dinners you know how to cook. Get to at least 30, but preferably more like 50. When you plan your weekly meal, pick 4 things from this list that you can cook easily, plan one night for eating out/leftovers, and pick one or two new meals you'd like to learn. Cross things off the list as you make them, and add new dishes that were successful to the list. This will keep dinners fresh, but also realistic. I definitely like to have a weekly meal plan.
2. Make a to-do list by day, and put things on it you know you will accomplish, like "brush teeth" and "do dishes". Then when you get a few things crossed off, you will feel more motivated to keep moving.
3. Pick up the entire house every night. For the most part. If you keep up your clutter pick up (making sure kids do their part!), your house will always look clean. Of course, a major disaster in the playroom can be put off for days at a time.
Good luck getting your groove back. Glad to see you posting again.
I in no way have much experience with little ones to offer much advise, BUT, I have a good friend with lots of little kids. One of her tricks to sanity is how she does her laundry: each person in her family has their own laundry bin, each load is one bin washed together in cold water, yes whites, darks, colors all together the cold water makes this doable. That load gets folded easier since there is less sorting and they all get put away in the same place. (She actually rolls outfits together so her kids can dress themselves easier, and keeps all their clothes under their bed in a box they can roll out) voila. take it or leave it, but I am a little intrigued by it. Miss you!!!
Post a Comment