I haven't posted much about my marathon training this time around. With D's business starting, I've been wearing lots of hats. I passed the office manager/secretary cap off to someone more enthusiastic and without 3 kids in tow just this week, so I am sure things around there will get done more quickly and efficiently now. For my part, I am looking forward to getting my home back in order, and perhaps having a little time to craft and read. One can always dream, right?
But I digress. The one and only thing I have been doing for myself since Anna was about 6 weeks old is running. Of course, I have had to get up at ridiculous (even to me) hours to accomplish these goals, and have even had to hire a sitter on Saturday mornings when I can't make it back from my long runs before D heads to work. But such sacrifice will be worth it in the end, I suppose.
Training for a marathon is quite a bit like a pregnancy, actually. The first time (2 years ago) I began my training doubting I would ever really make it to the end. "How am I going to do this?" I wondered many, many times. I wanted to quit (unlike being pregnant, you actually can back out of a marathon commitment!) but I stuck with it. And it's all very do-able when you take it one small baby step at a time. And truly by the end of it all, you are SOOOO ready for it to be over. "Bring on the pain!" you think. Just like with a baby.
And a second marathon training is a lot like a second pregnancy. It's a little easier, because this time you know you can do it from the start. It's a little less thrilling because of this, but it's also less stressful and you know how to take care of yourself better--pitfalls to avoid and such. (For example, I have started taking ice baths for any run over 10 miles, which has kept me from getting sore, even on a 19 mile run!) But the burnout starts a little earlier and I am definitely to the point where I am ready to deliver this baby (RUN MY MARATHON)!!
I have one more long run left--a 20 miler, the mother of all long training runs--and it's next Saturday. Each morning when I wake up at 4:45 (as early as 4:10 one time!) to start running in the pitch black, I ask myself "What in the world are you thinking?" (I run with people, so stop worrying about me.)
But when the miles are over and I realize that I did indeed just run 17 or 18 or 19 (today it was just 12) I feel like Superwoman once again. I think how incredible my body is and that it can do these things.
And then I dream of the running schedule I will have when all of this is over. 5 miles will seem so pleasant.
St George, here I come. Just 4 more weeks!
9 comments:
You marathon mommies astound me. I must say after this fourth pregnancy I am ready to completely take back my body and do something amazing....maybe a half marathon. I have been getting up at 5:45 am this pregnancy to do 3 mile walks. Good luck with your marathon.
I like your new background! But onto the post: as one who has only run 2 times the last month, I am ready to hit the road again! But I will say the 2nd marathon wasn't as fun. Still cool, though, and definitely easier. I only took one ice bath the whole time. I just didn't get sore. It was nice. I didn't even take an ice bath after the race and it wasn't bad. I can't wait to hear how everything goes. Glad I didn't plan on doing it, since it obviously would not have worked out. I'm sure your 20 will be great! And I can't imagine getting up to run at 4:30am. Yikes!
I'm feeling guilty reading about you taking ice baths. Not really, but I have enjoyed watching Derek suffer as he takes his after big runs (he does that at 10miles or higher too). I'd like to say I'll never do that, but then, I said I'd never be a runner... :) You're my running hero--GO EM!!
Lady, I only have one thing to say: I think you are crazy! I think all runners are though. Guess it's just not my thing.
WOW
All I can say is that I am glad I have my great training buddies that will get up so crazy early in the morning and run!! Early...Yes but so worth it:-) It's going to be so much fun! I can't wait...really!!!
You are amazing! I am still trying to get back into it after baby #4- you are motivating me-Great Job
Way to go! I am so impressed with your hard work and diligence. I started a boot camp last week and it is so hard but I love it. Maybe in a couple of years I will be running mini 5k's :)
Good luck! I wish I was going to be there with you again. Let me know when you run your next. I'm running a half in a few weeks. Still not ready for the full plunge I suppose, plus, I haven't found any great running buddies yet.
Post a Comment