Something I don't like about Valentine's Day is the commercialization of it and the outward importance society puts on it. In the early years of my marriage, I had high expectations for my husband. Surely, he would shower me with romantic gifts and cards to express his adoration for me. Well, not really. Don't get me wrong, he never forgot the day; he always did something for me. He always had a card or some flowers. He always wished me a happy day. Being a self-centered and immature person, I am ashamed to say that more than once I spoiled my own Valentine's Day by being disappointed that he hadn't met my outlandish dreams.
Since then I've grown more comfortable in our relationship and better able to recognize love in the less blatant, Hallmark-dictated ways of expression. Over the years I have let go of the over-the-top expectations (or if something is important to me, I've learned to tell my poor husband rather than expect him to figure it out by osmosis) and I have learned to find joy in all the moments. Four kids along the way have helped in that endeavor.
So maybe that's why this Valentine's Day was my favorite. It also could be that I actually put some serious effort into being "romantic" and surprising him, for a change.
If you wait a few hours, I'll share the details. Hope you had a happy V-day!
3 comments:
very wise.
Oh, the wisdom that maturity (and four kids) brings!
It was a great Valentines yesterday! THanks for letting us share an hour with you.
Post a Comment