Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Things it took me four kids to figure out ...

There is something of a learning curve with parenting. In some ways, I was at my best when I had just one or two little ones at home. I certainly had more patience back then. I vaguely remember having more energy as well, though the past is a bit foggy. I think I was probably more fun.

I've been pondering my evolution as a mother over the past 9 years, and while I was probably ultra patient, energetic and fun back then, there are many nuggets of wisdom that have come with more children as well.

One valuable insight (and one that has blessed me with multitudes of more-pleasant-than-they-otherwise-would-have-been mornings): Kids will often go back to sleep after waking in the morning. My first two would get up at 6:00 or 6:30 and I assumed they were early risers. We all were up and that was that. Maybe. But maybe not ...

One morning a couple of years ago out of pure desperation and exhausted-ness (it's my blog so I can make up my own words), I fed my third daughter (2 years old at the time) a bowl of cereal after she woke up at 6:15. I kept the kitchen minimally lit. Then I told her it was still night-time and tucked her back into bed. I laid by her on the floor and within a minute or two, she was fast asleep. Score! I think I got another hour to myself on that occasion. Most importantly, I discovered a new truth and parenting strategy. Because I think we all know how miserable life can be if the kids don't get plenty of sleep. Can I get a 'what-what'?

This morning my baby was up. It was 6:30, so I suppose being awake is fair game. But I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I changed his diaper, gave him a warm bottle, then put him back in the crib. He didn't complain about it, and even if he doesn't go back to sleep, I'll have time to take a shower and maybe get dressed while he chills in there. About half the time he will go back down for another hour.

It's true that this doesn't always work. Sometimes they really are up. But the trick is distinguishing the difference. Did they wake up just a little earlier than usual, complaining that they are hungry? I'll give it a try. It's ALWAYS worth a try.

So there you have it--nugget of wisdom #1, gleaned from 9 years and 4 kids. Stay tuned for another one next week.

(I have lofty plans of this being an ongoing segment, but since my posts are sporadic at best I make no promises)


2 comments:

Crystal said...

Love it. There certainly is a learning curve. I finally have one that will go back to bed if they wake up before seven... M. And it is amazing. I am almost always showering before lunch now :)
Can't wait for your next pearls

lilybit said...

keep em coming