Saturday, September 13, 2008

Can I even remember those days?

Due to lack of sleep and inspiration, I haven't blogged in quite some time. But my sister in law tagged me awhile back with this "high school tag", and so I think I'll tackle that. I'm sure it will be frightfully dull (Cinderella's words, not mine) but I'll do my best. For posterity. And read on fearlessly--I'm not passing any more tags along so you're safe.

1. Did you date someone from your school?

I dated lots of someones from my school. Due to a failed high-school romance and a perceived waste of 5 good years, my mother made a rule aiming to prevent her own children from falling into the same trap--we weren't allowed to date the same person more than twice in a row. As you can imagine, this sometimes made things a little tricky.

2. What kind of car did you drive?
A massive (and old) diesel Suburban. My dad's theory was that if we got in an accident, the huge car would keep us safe. This theory was proven true a few years later when my brother drove himself and 5 of my siblings in front of a garbage truck on an icy road. All walked away uninjured.

3. Were you a party animal?
Not at all. Unless you consider studying for 5 AP classes my junior year a "party", in which case I was a wild and crazy partier. Look out, nerds.

4. Were you considered a flirt?
I don't think so. But I changed my persona and was voted "biggest flirt" in my ward freshman year. I'm guessing that's how I got my man.

5. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?
My mother attempted to force me along the band route by tricking me into playing the oboe in 7th grade ("Everyone who plays the oboe gets a college scholarship"--
left unsaid was that to get the scholarship you had to major in music and CONTINUE playing the oboe. Nope, not for me.) Halfway through 9th grade, I quit the band and joined the choir. I sang in choir through high school, and even sang in the smaller chamber choir my senior year. I loved, loved, LOVED every moment of that.

6. Were you a nerd?
If you're not getting a pretty good idea by now, I will casually refer you back to question #3 and its answer.

No, really I don't think I was a nerd but I certainly wasn't in the "hip" crowd by any means. I had friends from all groups and liked things that way. It would be interesting to hear someone from my high school weigh in on this. If any of you lurkers have insight, I would truly love to hear it. Unless it's rude. In that case, keep your lips zipped.

7. Were you on any varsity teams?
No. My only regret about high school is that I didn't have the guts to go out for any teams (I was VERY shy). By the time I did (junior/senior year) it was just too late. I went to one of those big high schools where you have to start in early to be competitive. I do have a knack for sports though, and I think I could have been pretty good.

8. Did you get suspended/expelled?
What does that even mean?

9. Can you still sing the fight song?

Oh yes. And BYU's and even the U of U's. My mom liked to sing these kinds of songs to us, so I probably could have sung them in kindergarten. I also know the jingle for Ipana toothpaste and vintage Froot Loops ("spark-a-ling with ugar-shey for breakfast or for acking-snay"). Can anybody make a similar claim? Anyone?

10. Who were your favorite teachers?
4th grade--Mr. Dimond. I still vividly remember him correcting my pencil grip. I never got it wrong again. 5th grade--Mr. Thompson. I stayed after school to help him and wrote lots of "reports" (actually copied from the encyclopedia) which he in turn read to the class.

Stay tuned for part 2 where you learn, among other intriguing tidbits, what my school mascot was and what clubs I was in. (More nerdiness to come, I assure you!)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks em! that was fun to read about! I had a guy friend with a similar dating rule and so when liked someone I was their go between date.

amydear said...

Wow. 5 AP classes. That is amazing. And I still sing your emmadoodle song in my head. I've never heard of Ipana toothpaste, so I'm sorry I missed the jingle. I can't ever imagine you being a nerd. Impossible!

Anonymous said...

We have a similar dating rule for Zack when he starts to date. We are trying to prepare him early because I am sure the boy who is always in love is going to find this one extremely difficult to live by. Oh but he definitely will live by it :>

Angie said...

It would be funny to hear what someone from high school would have to say. Some of my friends from high school check my blog, so I don't think I would do this post. LOL. It's fun to read though!

Susie said...

Having known you both in high school AND as a college roommate I would have to say that what little "nerdiness" you might (or might not) have had had completely worn off by senior year at BYU. Biggest flirt... no surprise.
Oh, and this post reminded me of when I drove your Suburban for a girl's choice dance and completely freaked out when I couldn't manage it on the freeway. So maybe it saved your life, but it almost ended mine. Scary. I'll take my Chevy Sprint anyday.

Polliwog said...

Susie,
What is wrong with me that I don't remember that dance? Give me some more info. Were you present when I rammed said Suburban into the side of Miss J's car? (my choir director for those feeling uninformed)

Or when I backed it out of Kelsch's driveway and slammed the Wigington's pinto?

Good times, good times.

Susie said...

I'm not exactly clear which dance it was either but we went up to Salt Lake for a little ice skating session as part of the traditional pre-dance all-day extravaganza and it started teetering back and forth once I reached about 70 mph. I suppose I could have slowed down, but I instead freaked out, pulled over and let my date drive. Though, I don't even remember who THAT was. Sorry, I guess 14 years and three kids does wonders for memory loss on my part, too.
And yes, I remember pretty much all the mishaps you experienced in that car. I even have a vague recollection of one time when we sat inside the car with the "heat" blowing full blast trying to warm up after a football game, wondering why the air was so stinkin' cold. I think we figured it out only AFTER we turned on the engine to head home. Man, teenage girls are great problem-solvers.

Sorry to all of Polliwog's friends for my self-indulgent trip down memory lane. Next time I'll just email.

Emily said...

Em...this was fun to read. My mom had the same philosophy on cars..the bigger the safer. Anyways, I wanted to let you know we are ok.We did not evacuate. We still have no power and thus no internet. They are saying we should be hooked up by Monday. I will post pics and updates when I can. (I am doing this on my blackberry) Thanks for your prayers.love, em

Anonymous said...

huyt