Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Disney for Dummies

Me with the girls in the hotel

I should have called it "Disney for a Dummy" . . . meaning ME. Here's a head's up--taking a colicky 8 week old to Disneyland is a recipe for a migraine. And a very sore back. Just trust me, and don't do it.

I had visions of my infant, snoozing away in her car seat and being pushed around the park. I'd have to mostly skip the rides and instead see a few of the shows and nurse now and then. I'd probably get to browse through some of the shops. Okay, I conceded, it won't be as fun as usual but I can handle it. Little did I know what an understatement that would turn out to be.

"Not as fun as usual" translates to this--
  • Baby A never sleeping more than 45 minutes straight and only doing it a handful of times each day. And when she's awake, the good times are fleeting.
  • Me, speed walking with a screaming, SCREAMING baby from Critter Country all the way to the baby care center on Main Street. (Why did it always have to be Critter Country?!)
  • Me, in the dark, desperate to find a spot void of people, where I can swaddle, sway and shush the child to sleep.
  • Me, in the light, desperate . . . same as above. (again and again and again)
  • Me carrying the infant seat with Baby A in it in my right hand swinging it to keep her properly jiggled, all the while pushing the empty stroller (you know, the one we brought with the idea she'd be snoozing) with my left hand because hey, what Baby wants, Baby gets. Something to do with her lung capacity.
I had several items I wanted to purchase--some pirate gear for the girls (pretend play and Halloween); some earrings for me; a Halloween Sudoku book . . . I was so consumed by the baby that those things never even crossed my mind until we were home in Fresno.

But there were lots of good times too. I got to ride Tower of Terror, Space Mountain (twice!), Splash Mountain, and the new Toy Story ride. I did not have to ride Buzz (for some reason I loathe that ride--I know, I'm giving mothers a bad name).

Smidget, D, and Chatterbox in California Adventure


Also, there were lots of "firsts" on this trip--
  • First visit to the first aid station (Chatterbox fell from her perch on a fence and cracked the back of her head on a huge rock). Impressive, I must say. The services, not the accident.
  • First (and second and twentieth) visit to the Baby Care Centers in both parks. Wow, thank you Walt. Those places saved my bacon.
  • First time on the Pirate Island (formerly Tom Sawyer's Island). I didn't go, but D claims it is "awesome" and that "you could spend hours there". Who knew?
  • First time on Toy Story (obviously) and Brother Bear's Redwood Creek Challenge.
  • First time doing serious browsing in the shops--did you know there is a store which exclusively sells Tinkerbell merchandise? And I highly recommend "Off the Page" (a shop in California Adventure).
So in the final analysis, I figure I enjoyed about 50% of the trip. But D and the girls had a great time, so I think it was worth going. The fact is, Baby A acts miserable wherever we are, it's just more frustrating to deal with her in public. I love her like crazy, though, and happily devour every cheerful moment we share together. I wish I could help her feel better, but I think it's just a matter of endurance at this point. :) The distractions of Disneyland at least occupied me for three days of the journey.

And that's where I've been. And where I am. I miss blogging, but I am holding my baby the majority of every day, which makes typing difficult. I'll be back soon.

I forgot to mention in my initial posting that I got to see my awesome friend Tara (tbpiggy to you) and her family. We taught together our first two years and had many adventures, including one with a stuffed goose. Thanks, Tara. It was weird how it didn't feel like 8 years had passed at all. But we each had 3 kids when before we had none, so I guess it really has been awhile. It was fabulous to see you! (I can't believe we didn't take a picture.)

7 comments:

Paige said...

Oh, Emily. I can so empathize with you. We didn't try to do Disney, but we did plenty of other "fun filled family events" that left me with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I can only promise that she will grow out of it. I hope it's sooner rather than later for you. I cannot recommend enough the Miracle Blanket. Best $35 I ever spent.

Ming said...

Sounds tiring. You're the best mom ever for even attempting that trip with a colic baby. Way to go!

Dolphinsbarn said...

What?!? Taking a colicky 8 week old to Disneyland is a recipe for a migrane? How is that possible? It sounds like so much fun. :)

And FYI... for the sake of family happiness, I'll pretend that you didn't say you hate the Buzz Lightyear ride (you monster).

Bill and Tara said...

We had a great time too! Your girls are so cute. I actually brought my camera with the intention of taking a picture. I didn't seem like 8 years did it? Those were some good times, remember being track coaches?

Susie said...

Man, we missed you by a couple of weeks! We're going to San Diego next week to visit Tim's parents and, (for the first time with kids) are going to hit Disneyland. How are the lines this time of year?
Sorry that Baby A didn't cooperate. Sounds really, really tiring.

Emily said...

Em, I have always admired your determination but sheesh! I am way too lame to fuss with a newborn at Disneyland. You are a much funner and patient mom than I would be. Glad you got to make it on a few rides though. We are tossing around the idea of doing Disney World this Christmas but this hasn't helped inspire my vote (and Benjamin isn't even colicky). There is a special place in heaven for moms like you. ;)

amydear said...

At first, as I read your post, I thought you went sans D. Now THAT would have been crazy. I'm glad you had fun 50% of the time. We'd love to meet you there in a couple of years. You'll have everything figured out by then. Smidget looks so thin in this picture. She used to be such a chunk! Still cute as ever, all of them (even you!).