Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Nemesis

The Unscalable. The Insurmountable.

Meet my bedroom.

You may remember that we moved into our new house on the hottest day of last year (112 degrees) just a week before a 3-week long trip to Utah and just 2 1/2 weeks before I would give birth to my 3rd child. I only mention these tidbits to justify the somewhat-unjustifiable fact that, as of this past Monday, there remained still two small bins of miscellaneous what-have-you's that I hadn't got around to putting away. Pathetic. (If you're starting to bring up the fact that 9 months have since passed, you just pipe down and keep that to yourself--I'm drumming up sympathy here.)

This week I have had the pleasure of remaining cooped up in my home with two sick babies. Smidget had a nasty cough and ran a high fever for 5 days (Shvine flu?) I spelled it that way on purpose. If you say it with a German accent it sounds less formidable.

I came upon SimpleMom's Spring Cleaning challenge and decided--What the heck! Let's throw caution to the wind and join this crazy party! I've kept up (mostly) all week with only a handful of jobs procrastinated until a week past never (leather wiping the couches, for instance). But I am most proud of conquering my ultimate foe. Master bedroom, you have been slain.

Here are some before and after pics.

D's dresser, for which I claim NO responsibility. (This is all of his starting a business paperwork. Nice filing system, eh?) But I was sick of looking at it, so . . .

Voila! And I got him all systemized and filized. (Yes, I make up my own words.)

More office stuff. You see, our bedroom is ginormous and is actually a bedroom/office/library/gym. :) No wonder it's so hard to keep clean!!


Ah, I can breathe again.
By my side of the bed. I still would like to skirt responsibility for this one, but am coming up blank.Much better!


My dresser. More space to clutter. So lucky lucky.

Wow, I can see the top now!


I have a few more for you of the kitchen and laundry, but I'm out of my allotted blogging time. I hope my kids get better so we can play outside and let the clutter build. I'm tired of cleaning!

12 comments:

justme said...

i am impressed and inspired. i did a bit of clean up and org today and even as little as it was, it made a difference. my bedroom is a nightmare.

Unknown said...

Very Nice!

Cheri said...

Ahhhhh......
I say this for you.

And I always think of Shalissa Lindsey's tip at enrichment once: Eliminate all horizontal spaces. They WILL gather junk.

I'm trying, but my problem is that the floor is horizontal.....

Anonymous said...

Very nice job. You will become and organizational junkie yet! Really good. Hope all the girls are well and ready for the outdoors soon.

Emily said...

That was motivational just to witness through pictures. So, did you just chuck most of it or did everything find its perfect place? Looks *and I am sure it feels* fabulous. ;)

It seems like I do that and then 10 days later......its all baaaa aaaack. :)

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey Emily,

I have been trying to get someone on board to do this challenge with me. I did some of it last week, but I need someone to hold me accountable this week. Your pictures are great! You completely inspired me.

Alright, time to get off the computer and work.

Ready, go!

Polliwog said...

Kelly,
I should have given you credit! I had seen it, but it was the blog post that you wrote that made me decide to just do it. ;) Thanks! Can't wait to see pics.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey you, I am definitely not worried about credit. But here I am at the computer again. :-) I need to take more pics. Can't wait to meet you in Utah. I just bought my tickets today for Wasatch Back- wahoo!!! (And congrats on getting in St. George. I am a little sad I didn't try.)

Liz said...

I am so impressed! I love before and after pictures. Don't they make you feel so much better? Way to go! I hope you post more!

Angie said...

Way to go lady! That's awesome. We are doing the same thing here, only we are dejunking and packing getting ready for the move.

Lanes said...

Ahhh, that feels so good! Nice work Em.

amydear said...

I wish I could say this inspired me, but I am in an organizing RUT. My bedroom closet needs major help, though, and I'll get to it . . . soon. Sigh. I'm glad for you though! And I CAN NOT wait to see you and your fam.