A couple of weeks ago, I spent Smidget's two and a half hour preschool time--you know that precious time to which I refer--dragging my non-compliant 18 month old shopping hater through Target, Winco and Costco. Not the best use of it, but necessary. We ended our trip by picking up the preschooler but as I drove away, I remembered that I had a few books on hold at the library, one of which I'd lost at least twice by letting it linger on the request shelf too long. Reluctantly, I swung by the library. "In and out" I thought, and even determined not to switch my cell to vibrate since it would be so quick. It WAS quick, at first--I grabbed my 13! books and headed to the self-scanner. But my wallet, sadly, had been recently pillaged by my baby and held no library card. This meant I had to stand in a line which inexplicably progressed as quickly as a funeral processional. Twice I had to leave my pile of books and sundries to chase down a rambunctious Queenie. I left with one of my arms full of her (screaming of course) and my other balancing books. In my hand I clung to the loose possessions I had carried in with me--keys, wallet, phone. (No pockets that day, and unfortunately no purse/diaper bag or even my usual book bag.)
Circumstances had conspired against me. And I told a little fib, because--though I had had all of those loose possessions on me when I entered the library--one was no longer in my possession. I didn't realize I was sans cell phone until about 3 minutes down the road. I promptly turned around, dragged the screaming kids back to the library, begged to use their phone to call it, but all to no avail. Someone had swiped my phone. I was discouraged and depressed (flustered too), but the full force of the situation didn't really hit me until later, when D took me to the store to find a new phone and I discovered that the phone I loved (and had only had since June) would not only cost $300 to replace but now required a data plan subscription, which I didn't want. There was no way to get a phone remotely as good as mine without forking over a lot of cash. I shed a few tears, all the while playing a little lecture in my head about what is really important and how stupid I was to feel so attached to a material possession.
I am still a little bitter, though. And the world is a tiny bit greyer now that I've been reminded that there are people out there who will watch a woman run around chasing kids and take that opportunity of distraction to be a thief.
There is lots more going on with me, but that was the bummer of the month. I'll write something else soon, I promise. And maybe you'll even get a photo! ;)
4 comments:
I'm SO sorry. That is such a bummer and so annoying. What a creep who stole your phone!
On a lighter note it's nice to see you blog again. :)
I feel stressed just reading your account at the library. During moments like that I always wonder why someone doesn't turn around and offer for you to go ahead of them. It would be a huge help to you, and undoubtedly make everyone's afternoon nicer!
yep- bummer.
Ok, I SWEAR ....that is my experience almost everytime I go to the Library! Everytime I leave I am so happy to get the heck out of there....after Warren has insisted on scanning all the books and the baby is throwing them all on the floor and then the library card is nowhere to be found along with the DL and utilit bill to prove residence! Never had a phone kifed although, I did lose it once in my massice bag of books. ;) Hug to you girl!
Post a Comment