D and I took a quick trip to Pismo this weekend with friends. He had Friday off, so we left early and took the long route (about 45 minutes out of the way) to hit some outlets. It was so enjoyable shopping with him and NO KIDS. Wow. We had lunch at Togo's and drove 2 more hours to arrive at the beach and meet up with the others. It was a rainy, cold day--not a prime weekend for beach hopping--but our hotel was nice with a lounge and a big fireplace, so we congregated there quite a bit for talking and games. We had dinner at the revered Splash cafe (known locally for their clam chowder in bread bowls) and walked back in the moist COLD weather. Let's just say I was glad for my Uggs and my peacoat. A little chilly hot-tubbing (during which D and a pal were egged on to run down to the ocean and dive in ... they actually did it, the crazies!), some hot chocolate with 5 packets of creamer added, and then we were off to bed.
The next day (Saturday) was sunny and beautiful. But still frigid! After our breakfast, we all walked along the beach and soaked in some sunshine.

Afterwards the boys watched the BYU game while the girls did some more shopping. One of the girls and I headed to the Pismo Butterfly Grove first where we were able to see thousands of monarchs up in the Eucalyptus grove, and many flying around. When they mate, the male attaches to the female's abdomen (it's like they are wrestling on the ground) and then he flies away with her. We saw that happen twice. Pretty cool. Then we caught up for more shopping. Back at the hotel later, we walked and froze on the beach a little more. :)
We ate dinner at AJ Spurs, a steakhouse with serious character (by character, I mean dead animal heads, giant antler chandeliers, and huge guns hanging from the ceiling. They bring a big pot of stew to your table first, with beans and salsa that you mix in. Your dinner comes with a zillion things--stew, bread, rice pilaf, fireside potatoes, a root beer float, and a salad. It was amazing while eating, but boy did I feel sick later!
More hot-tubbing followed, though it was even more frigid outside than the night before! Somehow that did not stop the 10 of us from hanging out for an hour in there and turning into prunes.
Sunday morning we went to church at 9, then checked out and bid our friends farewell. I was dying to see Hearst Castle on our way home--it was actually about 45 minutes out of the way, but it was an incredible sunny (and slightly warm!) day, so it was perfect. I'm so glad we went!! It was reminiscent of the tours I did in Europe of some of the estates. I had no idea how cool that was going to be. It's on the central coast in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by acres and acres of undeveloped rolling land. William Randolph Hearst wanted to feel like he was in Italy or Spain, and you sure do!
The dining room. Hearst bought ceilings, furniture, tapestries, even priests' seats from European cathedrals (along the left back wall) for his home.
The view from the Casa Del Mar looking over the ocean.
I always miss my kids, of course, but this time I think they had as much of a vacation as we did. Our babysitters (a cute couple in our ward) were so good with them! Painting fingernails, a visit to the park, making cupcakes, cutting out snowflakes and hanging them from the ceiling fan ... lots of fun was had by all.
3 comments:
Looks like a great weekend full of my favorite things. Sad we can't have weekend getaways anymore. My parents went to Hearst Castle in the '80s and have the same pictures. Seriously, just the same. We are probably driving through Fresno this summer, hope we can see you!
Polliwog, I think your Cali days are making you soft! Frigid? Really? Glad you had a fun trip - Hearst Castle is definitely a trip worth taking off the beaten path.
My dad took us to AJ Spurs when we were in town in October. The man has had quadruple by-pass surgery. It's amazing he walked out of that place alive! My little boys sure loved the Root Beer Floats, though!!!
Post a Comment