Saturday, March 5, 2011

Snow

Here is my life's chronology in terms of places I have lived:

Age birth-1 ... Salt Lake City, UT; dad in last year of med school at U of U
1-5 ... Iowa City, IA; dad in OB/GYN residency at the U of Iowa
5-24 ... Alpine, UT (Provo, UT; American Fork, UT); grew up, went to BYU, married, D went to BYU while I taught in American Fork for 2 more years
Age 24-28 ... San Francisco, CA; D in dental school at UCSF
Age 28-31 ... Ann Arbor, MI; D in Orthodontics residency at University of Michigan
Age 31-present ... Clovis, CA; here to stay!

I tell you this to establish the simple fact that I am no stranger to snow. I spent a collective 27 years of my life in climates that offered me a substantial winter. And you know what?

I. Don't. Miss. It.

Sorry, snow, I can absolutely do with you.

But the lack of it in our vicinity does lead my children to view it as magical ... indeed, almost mythical. In that sense, I'll admit that it is somewhat enchanting to view winter (and snow) through their eyes; for instance, when we go to Utah at Christmas time.

It's been a 70's week here. Sunny, bright and beautiful. We've been on bike rides, walks, and to the park. For a change, today we opted for an hour plus drive through twisty mountain roads, up and up and up in search of the mythical snow. And we found it! The kids enjoyed sledding (their first time, can you believe the neglect?!), snowball fights and general tromping through waist-high snow (knee-high for me). We stopped at D's parents' cabin afterwards to have a campfire and cook up some hot dogs and s'mores.

Another hour drive, fending off carsickness all the way, and we are home, cleaned up, and back in our snow-less home. It was a fun day, and I know I sound like a snow-Scrooge when I say this, but once a year sounds about right. I'll keep the flurries at arms length where they can remain magical and mystical--instead of cumbersome and tedious. I guess this means I am a true California girl.

5 comments:

Miguel said...

Hear, hear!!

Cheri said...

Oops. Before you freak out, I was the Miguel comment. (:

amydear said...

I am so, so, so with you. I think that all time in winter here when it is 50 degrees. And we get it just once or twice a year. Perfect.

Polliwog said...

Miguel (cheri)--I remembered it was you from another time ... it only took me a split second. ;)

Dr. aafb said...

I'm right there with you! We went to Tahoe for the day on Saturday and after an hour or so I was ready for hot chocolate and a ride back to the bay area. I even find myself saying Brrr in 50 degree weather here and Sam make fun of saying, "We used to live in Michigan!" and I respond by saying I'm a California girl now!