*So I was wrong about the rain ... it's been raining on and off (mostly ON) since I last posted. Sunday and Monday included some serious downpours, causing some hydroplaning while driving to swimming lessons... that was an adventure! But I am still enjoying it for the most part. For one thing, everything is so green!
*The day I told my kids about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, they wanted to DO something immediately. Chatterbox really wanted to pack up all of her stuffed animals to send, but I told her that might not be the most helpful course of action at this point. They settled on creating "art" to sell for 25 cents apiece and got busy peddling their wares. Thanks to all who supported them! They made $4, which I told them I would match, for a total of $8. On Sunday they each added their $4 to their tithing envelopes, marked "Japan" in the humanitarian box, and turned it in. So proud. :)
*Easter is coming up. I have been nibbling, euphemism for steadily inhaling, Easter candy for a couple of weeks now and I still have a few weeks to go. My favorites are #1 Reese's eggs or mini Reese's cups (not discriminating where Reese's are concerned), #2 Cadbury cream eggs (I do not accept dissenting votes where these are concerned. My husband falls in the nay-saying category for this candy) #3 MY NEW FAVORITE! Nerds jelly-beans. I am generally a chocoholic and leave plain, boring candy for the crazies. But these babies are just the right amount of sour and sweet, candy and chewy ... I feel I may need to stock up before I can't find them anymore.
*I was starting that last Easter thought with the purpose of saying I am planning on cutting the candy way down in the Easter baskets (since we will have consumed so much pre-Easter) and instead ordered some hardcover books to add to our library. I chose Paul Zelinsky's Hansel and Gretel and Trina Hyman's Little Red Riding Hood. These stories are not sugar-coated fairy tales, but are true to the originals. Most importantly for me, the illustrations are truly art. I can't wait for them to come. (We already have Zelinsky's Rapunzel and Rumpelstiltsken and love them!)
*My "baby", Queenie, is so clingy these days. It's like she can tell an intrudere is fast approaching. Several times a day, particularly at times she has to be separated from me (like when Daddy is holding her so I can make dinner, or when I leave her with a sitter while I go to the doctor) she nervously asks, "Are you my mommy?" I always laugh a little, and tell her, "Yes, I am your mommy. I am always your mommy. That will never change." Smidget has started to tell her the same thing.
*I guess we will be finding out the gender of the coming baby in the next week. I've always been chomping at the bit to find out, but this time I feel hesitant. I can't explain it ... I think I will be thrilled either way. But my identity at this point is as a mother of girls. I really want another one. I guess that's weird--everyone keeps saying "Oh, are you hoping for a boy?" and the honest truth is kind of the opposite. I keep reminding myself that it would be wonderful to have a boy ... but gosh, these girls and their relationship with each other ... our whole family dynamic, really ... I just love it. My friends with boys all tell me how cool their relationship is with their boys and how they want that for me. The more girls I've had, the more I have realized how different they are from each other, and I don't know if so much depends on gender as we really label it. I have different relationships with each of my girls, some better, some more strained. I'm not worried, because I know I will be happy either way. But I will definitely have to do some emotional adjusting to make room for a boy! (Not to mention all of the clothes, decor, etc.)
*If I could only pick one dvd for my kids to watch/me to listen to in the car while driving, it would be Phineas and Ferb, hands down. That show is HILARIOUS and becomes more so on frequent repetitions. D bought a shirt on clearance at the Disney store last night with Dr. Doofenshmirtz on it. It says, "Trust me, I'm a doctor." Especially funny since he is one. :)
I just figured out how to embed a youtube video for the sole purpose of sharing this little Phineas and Ferb treasure. :) Enjoy!
2 comments:
I completely relate to the mother-of-girls sentiment. Can't wait to find out, though!
I am SOOO with you. I stewed and hoped the whole time I was preggo with Ash--I wanted another girl SO bad! And was so happy and surprised when she was a girl. And now I have my Dade: there are some differences, but he is still darn cute. Still, I look forward to seeing those sisters grow together and care for their (spoiled) little brother.
Post a Comment