Sunday, March 13, 2011

Thinking of Japan

I'm sitting here at the computer after a long Sunday at church. I just finished reading and watching the updated news about Japan. And I'm crying.

It is devastating to watch footage of the ocean sucking away an entire city. It's heart-breaking to hear accounts of families who were separated in the disaster, of the 60 year old man who was rescued on his housetop but saw his wife washed away. It's wrenching to see people waiting in lines for a water bottle--to hear they are living in the wreckage of what was once a home. It's also overwhelming in so many ways. How do you help people who are suffering so deeply but who are so far across the world? Chatterbox wants to send her stuffed animals. Not so sure how to start on that one ...

I have no answers. Our friends from years ago in dental school are currently stationed in Japan where he is just finishing his pediatric dentistry work with the army. She wrote of their survival experience on her blog. She also writes of some of the things she wish she had and will add to her preparedness stash.

That's where my mind is going at the moment ... what am I lacking in my storage/preparedness? (LOTS -- SO MUCH!) How can I remedy that? I'm starting tomorrow.

I'm posting this week's goal here and now so I have some accountability: This week I am working on water. 1) Moving our 55 gallon barrel 2) Filling it 3) Locating the pump and hose and attaching it to the barrel 4) Refilling the water in our 5 smaller (7 gal) containers 5) Purchase 3 Costco cases of bottled water. 6) Locate our water purifier.

That will be a good start, and manageable, I suppose, though I REALLY want to go buy a year's supply of food tomorrow. ;) That is not in the budget.

How is your water stash? Am I forgetting something important where water is concerned? Is anybody there?

3 comments:

Susie said...

I hear you. It's near impossible to watch the news without getting emotional. While I was in Taiwan during a major earthquake - over 2000 people died and, amid the rolling blackouts, the ineffective lines of communication and the ever-increasing figures of deceased, the gloom was palpable. And it lasted for a long time. Although that experience pales in comparison to so many of the recent natural disasters, the earthquake in Japan brought back those memories and it brings me to my knees in humility and compassion.
I'm pretty happy about my food storage situation. We have an ample amount of drinking water. But our 55-gallon drums have yet to find a permanent spot in our garage so cooking will be limited. Got a corded phone. Not enough candles though.
This comment is already way too long. Maybe I should just copy and paste it as a post on my blog... nah.
Great post.

Polliwog said...

Susie, I saw your post on food storage a few days ago and didn't comment, but I was impressed! We have some, but I need to go through and inventory it all and then start building it up. I think my 72 hour kits are next on the agenda, though. :) Our home with no basement and no large pantry has made food storage a challenge. I need to get creative, I suppose.

Ming said...

Thanks for this post. It is a great reminder that I need to get my butt in gear. I have such a small supply of water (all 2 liter bottles). I'm inspired to get a large drum right away. I can't imagine something horrible happening and not being able to give my kids water because I wasn't on the ball enough before hand. I too will make that a priority this week. My prayers are definitely with those in Japan.