Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A perfect day

It seems like the best days of my routine life are the ones that start with 3 things--oh, and these are all accomplished before any kids wake up: first, dragging myself out of bed early to exercise; next, making time to read my scriptures or the Ensign; and last, getting showered and dressed. If the stars align and those 3 things happen, my day is sure to be awesome.

It happened yesterday. It was an uneventful, but somehow still a wonderful day. I got the house straightened and in order before 9:30; taught my preschool music class; delivered girl scout cookies; took Smidget to her swimming lesson; hit Costco and got an oil change all at once; fought and won the napping battle with Queenie; got dinner to a friend (it was mostly a la Costco, but sometimes you've got to pick your battles); helped the older girls make their leprechaun trap (oh the hilarity); made chocolate chip cookies; folded and put away the mountain of laundry in my bedroom; fed the family dinner (thank you Costco); had family home evening; and bought our tickets to Maui in June. And no TV for the kiddos all day. Whew!

Now it kind of sounds like I am tooting my own horn. I don't mean it that way. The fact is, days like these are about as rare as Halley's Comet (every 76 years or something?) It feels like that anyway. (And shouldn't they be celebrated?) For instance, today I woke up at 7:15 feeling my cold raging back--I can't seem to kick this thing!-- and decided then and there that I was NOT going to my 9:00 am class at the gym. Now it is almost noon, and my greatest accomplishment of the morning is the fact that I got Chatterbox to school on time. I am still bra-less, in my jammies, and am planning on counting this blog post as a "job" I accomplished. Sure, I've made a few beds, picked up a few scattered sundries, changed a poopy diaper ... I guess Queenie is dressed with her hair combed. I talked to my mom on the phone. (Do you feel the reaching?)

I wish I could feel like I squeezed the fullest out of each day. But I can't seem to muster the energy to do it very often. I'd love some advice from those of you who are getting it done more than 50% of the time. Because that is admirable! As for me, it's noon so I'd better pull it together enough to feed my little yahoos and take them to the park. I'll try to salvage what's left of the day. Hope it's going better at your house! Happy Tuesday.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

I think one of the reasons I blog, is to count it as something I accomplished for the day. It counts. And at least your kids are getting out of the house, mine are still confined to the living room. Way to go on your great day.

Ming said...

Seriously those days are so few and far between around here. If I manage to put something other than my pajamas or sweats on then I count the day as a win. :) We are still fighting sickness around here. Now Addie has broncialitis (sp?). Joy. Our only outings these days are to the doctor. Way to go! You definitely need to write down those great days! Then re read them all those "other" days. ;)