(If you didn't see my first post, check it out here.)
Okay, we are over a month into it now and still going strong. The kids' excitement has faded a bit (which is to be expected, I suppose). Getting a star for the day (meaning they finished all of their jobs) is the exception rather than the rule. I still love it, though, because in the end THEY CHOOSE. And if they are out of tickets and they want to do something fun, they know they'd better get their jobs done!
Chatterbox (7) has been infinitely better about practicing the piano and Smidget (5) generally gets all of her jobs done, at least in the morning. A few things that have changed--my kids brush their teeth every morning and put sunscreen on themselves. I am pretty thrilled about that!
So we started the extra jobs/bonus bucks 2 weeks ago. Smidget got into it really fast, and we had a few lessons on how to dust properly, how to clean toilets, .... it was awesome!! But that is kind of hit and miss. Last week no one did a single extra job. Probably partly my fault.
I still give the program the highest rating of 5, because I feel that it is holding its own against reality. :) What more can you ask for?
7 comments:
So, do you think my 10 year-old who thinks she's 12 will still go for something like this??
I've used this for years! It still works on my older kids. They love it. By far one of the best systems I have ever seen.
Not sure. The book claims that even older kids like it--I think it works better the older they are, honestly. I really like the 'privilege pass' which lets you give a 'special' card to eliminate a specific behavior--For Ellie it was hopping out of bed in the morning to get ready for school (instead of complaining and moaning about how tired she was). For Melissa it was sitting quietly through scriptures and coming when called. We worked on those for a week and completely eliminated that bad behavior. Now I am trying to decide what to work on next. It has definitely kept me on my toes.
I would recommend finding the book (used online/at the library) and reading all about it before deciding whether it's a good fit for your kids. We are loving it though. I am interested to see if it has staying power, but so far it seems to. The summer will tell ...
Lori--really? Did you make your own, because I remember your system was amazing but much cuter than what I've got goin' on. :) I wish I'd realized earlier that I could buy what you were doing because I am SUPER impressed with you and your kids.
PS will you come decorate my house? pretty please ;)
Oh, and Amy--Lori's kids are much older than mine (she even has a 16 yo) so her opinion is more relevant. I didn't see her comment before I wrote my saga.
Totally unrelated comment - though I'm happy you've found something that works for your family. I just wanted to thank you for showing all of your summer finds. I, too, am excited for summer and the opportunity it gives me to teach AND play with my kids. I bought Sewing School and love it! A group of friends and I do a sewing class and cooking class (I teach the cooking part) for our kids during the summer and I think that Sewing School is a great preface to machine sewing. My girls are so excited about doing it with me. So thanks!
Ah, Susie, that's great! I just saw your review on Goodreads and wondered if you had it before (what a coincidence!) or if you'd bought it after my post. (I'm very relieved you like it, btw, I would have felt horrible if I had recommended a dud!)
Post a Comment