This week I started pondering the possibilities.
Chatterbox will have swim team every morning for six weeks, with 4 meets to compete in. That will see us through July. No doubt we will spend lots (and LOTS) of time poolside, trying to beat the heat. But that can only encompass so much of our day. We'll do the library summer program and stop there (and of course for ice cream) weekly. Both older girls will still have dance class, and piano (taught by me), and Chatterbox has a choir/drama "camp" one of the weeks of July.
Last year, I signed the girls up for a weekly art class. It was OK, but for all the money I put into it ($75 per kid) I wasn't sure it was worth it. On top of that, there was the driving to and from, the coordinating ... all of which I am just plain done with. I do not want to spend my summer in the car. So I opted to use that money (less, actually, when all is said and done) to do our own thing. I have gone a little crazy buying up the "necessities" for this excitement.
My specific project goals (with the kids) this summer are 1) to attempt paper mache and try to do a couple of projects 2) to do 'art journaling' several times a week (see my inspiration here) and to have 4 separate fun afternoons of fun educational themed activities. The girls picked their topics: bugs and butterflies, pirates, space, and castles (they also want to do oceans and dinosaurs but I told them we'll have to see how these others go). We'll do art, cooking, reading, puzzles, maybe even movie-watching all based around these themes.
Amazon.com is my friend right now. They have a 4 for 3 promotion going on and I've scored 4 new books using it. Free prime shipping through amazon mom is pretty sweet too. That way I can order my 4 books at one pricepoint ($6.95-8.95) and score one free, then in a separate order do the 4 $3.99 books and score another free. And they come so fast, I can hardly handle it. Addicted, maybe??
For a slight glimpse into my shopping madness of the past few days, read on. Otherwise, I'll see you next post!!
I bought 4 of these (different themes of course);

We got 4 Usborne dot-to-dot books, and an Usborne puzzle pirates book, and a giant maze book. And then of course, not on a deal, I have snatched up some other inspiring books, like this, some Alex simply needlepoint kits, and a few art supplies from amazon like this cool stuff . Add a few things from blick.com that I could only get there (our journals for art journaling, some special watercolors, india ink, and a white paint pen) and I think I'd better call it good! I know I've overdone it, and only half of what I've planned will get done... but I feel like all my blog-hopping and idea wrangling is a waste of time if I don't at least get the supplies on hand to DO IT. So that's my justification. That and the fact that I did not sign the kids up for those classes after all ...
What are your summer plans?
2 comments:
Wow. Sounds like lots of fun activities. I need to be more organized. I am still getting into the groove of all this with Warren just finishing Kindergarten. I love the paper mache journals and it sounds like you have a much better art class going than the one you enrolled in. I may have sent you an email already but check out www.kidsbowlfree.com. Kids bowl free all summer long, everyday up to two games per day. You just put in your zip code and it will bring up a bowling alley near you. :)
HOLY cow. I just read this and your post on the job charts. We need to talk about this in Hawaii. I wnat to hear your opinions/experience with jobs and work charts, because this seems like the kind of thing I'd want to do with my chidrins (once they can actually walk, talk, etc :) Great ideas!!
Post a Comment