So yes, there were somewhere around 20,000 women on campus Thursday and Friday and this time, for the FIRST time, I was one of them! Though I am not a fan of crowds, and baby-on-the-bladder didn't leave me the option of 'holding it' so I DID have to brave a few long lines for the potty, I still managed to have a glorious time. I attended with my mom and went to all 5 sessions each day. There were beautiful talks about motherhood, prayer, repentance, covenants, and treasuring the scriptures. Most importantly, throughout all of those talks, I was able to feel so close to God and to have multiple experiences of feeling His love for me. Those are sometimes hard to come by in the craziness of raising little ones. My mom was invited to be a presenter this year (she is on the Church's curriculum writing committee) and though she was terrified, she did a beautiful job.
Other bright spots of the weekend included the 3 (baby wanted them) mint brownies I bought from the bookstore, picking up some new clothes at Forever 21 (shopping without kids? Yay!!) and partying it up with my siblings and their babies.
As I debarked the airplane in Fresno, the friend I was with veered off and started talking with an older man who was sitting waiting to get on the plane. I followed her, and as he stood and shook our hands, I realized I was standing face to face with Elder L. Tom Perry, a latter-day apostle of the Lord! We talked with him momentarily (flustered, of course, we botched it and wished mightily for a do-over later) and I left feeling that it was a sweet tender mercy and beautiful finish to my weekend. My heart is full of gratitude to my sweet husband for being 100% supportive of my leaving him on his own with the kids. What a man. And what a trip!
4 comments:
So glad you got to go! Such opportunities to recharge are few and far between. Last summer I got to attend Education Week with a few mission buddies and it will forever be a cherished memory.
That does sound like a wonderful week! I'm so glad you got to attend.
I'm sad we missed you though, we just traded states for the week.
What to hear my funny thoughts. You said you went shopping at forever 21 without kids... I thought, yeah you can't take kids into that store because they play the music waaaaay to loud. I think I am officially old.
I've always wanted to go. Maybe next year! Glad you had a good week.
Post a Comment