Monday, August 25, 2008

There She Goes


The big day finally arrived. My not-so-little Chatterbox was ready to head out the door at 9:00 am today ... unfortunately, school didn't start until 3-ish hours later, so we had a L-O-N-G morning to get through. The recurring questions ("When will it be time to go?" and "Is it lunch time yet?" being the most oft-repeated) reminded me an awful lot of the L-O-N-G drive home from Utah.

My observations of today:
  • There are way too many kids in that class. I aim to find out exactly how many at Back-to-School Night tomorrow. (Beware my wrath!)
  • If your child is having anxiety and/or adjustment issues, here's a tip: Don't be late picking him up. Some poor little boy was heard to wail, "I want my MOMMY!" as my daughter and I left the pick-up gate. He was only one of 3 left waiting.
  • Must you over-achieving mothers really show up with balloons and bouquets of flowers at pick-up? Can't you have those gifts waiting at HOME on the counter where they won't make the rest of us feel like duds? The other kindergartners were left wondering where their shiny Mylar balloon was. Grrrr.
  • 102 degrees or not, I am SO walking my kids to the pick-up. When we got home, both Smidget and Baby were fast asleep. It's tough to be the sibling of a kindergartner.

8 comments:

Bill and Tara said...

Seriously there were parents with balloons? The twins started pre-school on Monday. P starts first grade on Thursday, I will be watching for balloons.

Cheri said...

watch out - sassy girl comin' through. Glad she had fun, those are some great pics!

Ken and Amy said...

Very exciting! Glad C was excited to go....how did you do emotionally? I've heard Kindergarten can be hard on the mom's the first day.

Baby is adorable! She definately belongs in your family...she looks like her sisters!

amydear said...

Um, balloons and flowers?? Those couldn't wait until Kindergarten graduation? : ) Love S's hair, as usual. I just want to gobble your girls up, they're so cute. Glad C had a good first day. She already knows everything in Kindergarten, so I hope it keeps going well!

Angie said...

Aw, she looks adorable. Congrats to her for starting kindergarten. You'll have to let us know how back-to-school night went.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are ready to enter a new motherhood stage- School! How did Smidget do?

Kierstin said...

Wow...I thought I was reading my post again about Asia's first day of school. You even took your two little ones in the same double jogger. Are you putting a lot of miles on that stroller now? Love mine! I am glad C-box had a great day. I wouldn't call those moms with balloons over-achievers, I would just call them over-the-top. Just hope your kid doesn't get invited to their kids b-day party. YIKES!!

Anonymous said...

Chatterbox - Yippie for school. I am so proud of you that you are now a big girl kindergartener. I know you will do well. You will have to send me copies of some of your best papers! Enjoy every minute of it.