I have spent the past 3 weeks with my family in one way or another--first I unloaded my pregnant self and 2 small children at their house, settled in, and waited for the arrival of #3. They all pleasantly cared for me and those aforementioned little ones without complaint. 2 1/2 weeks later, my mother, youngest brother, and two sisters willingly entered cars for a 13-14 hour drive to California where they have entertained children, unpacked boxes, cooked meals, shopped for me, done my laundry, painted nails, and cleaned my house. Let's just say that when Sunday morning rolls around and they depart, I am going to be pretty glum.
My family is quirky and I mean that in an I-love-it-when-I'm-around-them-even-though-it's-pure-craziness kind of a way. There is always lots of singing with harmony, improvisation and nutty attempts at instruments. There are also plenty of silly sayings. A clinging leftover from years past is to say "wery" instead of very (I know this comes from a movie, but I can't remember which). Oh, and I can't forget the, now beaten to the ground yet somehow still funny Napoleon Dynamite references. My brother (the one in Switzerland) always said things were dec' (short for decent), so we throw that around a lot, as in-- "This homemade hot fudge sundae is to die for" followed by someone saying, "It's dec' ". My current favorite though, is when my sister says, "Can I get a --?" and anyone within hearing distance automatically throws out "woot! woot!" It makes me laugh.
And it's just the phrase that came to mind when, at 8 days old, I awakened one morning to Little A's infant cries at 5:20 a.m. and realized she'd gone to bed at 10:20 p.m. the night before. That's 7 hours, people!! Can I get a --? My pediatrician today advised me not to let her go more than 5 hours, at least for the next couple of weeks (bummer!) but that 7 hours of sleep did me some serious good.
And that's where it stands at the moment. We're getting along great. Stay tuned to hear if things fall apart in mere hours or if I can actually maintain sanity for a few days after my family leaves.
9 comments:
It is true I have hardly met a family that enjoys being around each other more than yours. The singing is constant so it is good most of you have delightful voices and the caring is palatable. The Lind family is better than "dec" they are fabulous.
Oh, I love being with your family! Everyone is SO funny, and happy! I can't believe the new little one is sleeping 7 hours! I think she's adorable! I wish I could see her cuteness in person!
Awesome! What a great family!!! That's great that you are able to enjoy one another so much. I bet you love being closer to them again. You'll pull through, I have no doubt. You are an amazing womand and I miss our girls nights! The little one already slept 7 hours huh? That's great for you, probably not so good for her though :) Keep us posted.
WOOT! WOOT!
I am glad you are all settled in back at home all pampered and such. My wish for you is that the 3 to 5 hours of sleep you receive in the future will feel like 7 to 8.
7 hours...you lucky duck! That is incredible and a true blessing to you! I always feel bad waking up a sleeping baby just to eat. Good luck when you are on your own. Life may be alittle crazy and chaotic, but it will get better. Hang in there!
I am glad you made it home. Reading this made me homesick for my family. Sounds like good times. 7 hours lucky you, what does the DR know?:)
Congrats! Congrats! I've been meaning to email and tell you how beautiful little baby is and how smashing you look! How I wish your girls could be my girls' friends! I'm glad you've had so much help. What's going on with D's work?
Is this amazingly written and wildly entertaining encounter about moi? I love it! And I love you! I'm missing being there with you guys. I hate to say it, but I wish I were in Cali. I hate to say it, because no amount of wishing will make it true. School has begun, life has "gone on", and here I am at my computer in my frigid, but beautiful new room. Ce la vi.
Post a Comment