Thursday, July 31, 2008

More Baby Details

Mom, Dr. Dad, me, baby, and D


All dolled up in her coming home clothes


My sisters with me and baby.


First family photo.

Mom, Baby and Chatterbox.


The new arrival.


I know some people don't enjoy the hospital, but I absolutely loved it. I had so much quiet time that I could spend inhaling the newborn scent of my little one; they brought me meals on trays in bed and--bonus!--they actually tasted good; I could wash away all the having a baby muck in someone else's shower (and someone would come and clean it up for me!); and on top of it all, I could read and nap to my heart's content.

For those of you interested in details, I'll provide a few (and I'll attempt to keep it brief).

A reminder--I've never actually gone into labor before. My water broke with both of my other girls 12 and 10 days early, so I was a little nervous about the whole thing. On Tuesday, 10 days early, I had my membranes stripped at 11 am. I was a 3+ and 90% effaced then. I was crampy all day after that. D and I had lunch out, then I came home and slept for 3 hours. (Little did I know how fortunate that was!) Around 4 in the afternoon I started having mini-contractions. They were short, not terribly painful, but about 7 minutes apart. My mom said they sounded like Braxton-Hicks to her. I almost quit timing them, but ended up sticking with it. Mom, the girls and D went out to the pool for a swim and I went upstairs to do my hair (just in case). Pretty quickly I was having minute-long, very painful contractions. I went out to the pool and told D we'd better head for the hospital.

We met my dad halfway there at his office. Since he was the on-call doc, I decided to just have him check me. I was at a 5 and in quite a bit of pain. I looked at D and said, "Let's just have him do the delivery." I really wanted my dad to be the doctor. So that's what we did. We made it to the hospital, got checked in, and got the epidural when I was a 7. Since I was group b strep positive, we needed to get the antibiotic in 4 hours prior to delivery. The goal was 11:05 pm. Because of that, my dad didn't break my water. I was at a 9 for a couple of hours but with my awesome epidural, I didn't feel a thing. At 10:50 it was looking pretty safe, so we broke my water. That was it. I tried not to want to push, but it was so uncomfortable. I finally had to interrupt everyone's happy conversations so I could PUSH. Only 3 contractions later (5-7 minutes or so), out she came. (11:07--just made the deadline). The pushing was painful, but I guess I can't complain about 7 minutes of torture. My dad is the most awesome OB ever (not that I'm biased) and it was a great experience having him deliver--we invited my mom in as well since she's never seen him "in action" so that was cool too.

I missed my friends coming and bringing Ben and Jerry's, but it was such a refreshing change to have my family nearby and to have them all stopping by to visit.

Anyway, all is well. Thanks for the words of love and encouragement. You are great friends! Oh, and I'll send an email with her name. It took us until last night to have it finalized.

15 comments:

amydear said...

Yeah for details! I think it's so cool that both of your parents were there, and that your Dad was your doctor. What a neat experience. Sounds like a pretty fun delivery -- if they can be fun?? I am anxiously awaiting the email with her name! And I love to see Smidget and Chatterbox in the pics. Can't wait until we find some time to meet up!

Cluff Family said...

Congrats! I am so glad for you. What a beautiful baby! She looks like a Lori to me!

Emily said...

Congratulations Em! She is adorable! You are looking great (I really like your new hair). I am glad that you had a great delivery. That is always a bonus. So excited for you all. All the pics are so great. LOVE her name. Be careful on your drive home. This weekend we MOVE! AHHhh!

J-Dawg said...

That's great. Super happy for you guys. Congrats on #3!

Jenafur said...

We're so happy for you guys!
The boys both had big smiles to see the pictures of the girls with their new baby sister. They're excited to have a picture with their new baby brother, when he comes.

Cheri said...

What a great story! I'm so happy for you. An incredible experience to have your dad deliver your little one. My best wishes to you in these following weeks.

Michelle said...

Congrats! She is so darling... totally reminds me of #2. so cute. I hope you are doing well.
You will have to share the secret on how to get a girl!!
Lots of Love.
Mich

Anonymous said...

Aren't epidurals the best thing ever! She looks so big! Mine are 6 wks and neither one is close to eight pounds yet. Have a safe trip back to Ca.
-Kris

Crystal said...

Hooray! She is gorgeous, you look gorgeous, we are only sad we passed ways. We did go check out the new house though ( and steal some string cheese and nuts because we had been at the lake all day and were starving). I think it is great, especially the landscaping and tile floors!

Natalie said...

Congrats! I have been thinking about lately and wondering when this little bundle would arrive. She is beautiful and definitely looks like her sisters. They are getting so big! I second what Em said, your hair looks great. Wish I looked that good after labor. It's great to see your family.

Natalie

PS-We have now been on the East Coast for two weeks and are starting to settle in. I will have to send an email with our address.

Anonymous said...

She beautiful and wonderful and we can't wait to meet her. Congratulations to the whole family. It seems like it was a special and memorable delivery. Wow!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

I am so glad I got to meet this cute little bundle before you guys headed back home. She is a doll. I am glad that your labor and delivery seemed to go so smoothly! Happy Day! Welcome to your cute little one and hope you are settling in well at home.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I think that is the cutest "first family picture" I have ever seen! You look fabulous and your little girl is adorable. Your family sounds like they are a lot of fun. (referring to your latest post!) 7 hours sounds heavenly for you. Can't wait to hear more details. Good luck when you are on your own. :-)

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I am glad that everything went well with your delivery. I guess it was a good thing you did your hair that afternoon, it looks really cute in your pictures! Good luck adjusting to #3.

Anne Bowen said...

She is so beautiful and so is her mother! I'm so glad we got to see you both in Utah before you left for Cali. Congratulations on another beautiful baby!