Saturday, July 12, 2008

Moved and Settling

Yes, I am alive and well.

All went according to our detailed and flawless (ha!) plan, and we are officially homeowners. Tonight will be our third night sleeping in our new place (with no blinds, I might add . . . creepy!). My kitchen looks great--all put away, I mean--as do the girls' room, the play room, and the kids' bathroom. My room . . . well, let's just say I haven't gotten that far, and the living room and dining room are still full of boxes. But we are WORKING ON IT. :)

Moving at nearly 36 weeks pregnant is a bad idea. A very bad one, in fact. To top it off, the day we moved set records for heat and will most likely end up being the hottest day of the year. It was a toasty 112 and the humidity had to be higher than usual. Ick. But we had helpers on both ends from family (thank you Mom and Dad F. and Mark and Elisabeth!!!) and both Elders Quorums (the mens' group from church) so that made things better. Nevertheless, my back and feet were frighteningly sore--in fact it still hurts to move, even while lying down.

But I'm counting blessings today, and it is an amazing feeling 1) to have a home that is actually "ours"; 2) to have no prospect of moving in my near future (D even let me throw out ALL boxes to prove it--if you don't know it about us, D always saves all item-specific boxes and this past move we saved all of our boxes); 3) to have steaming fast internet (fiber optics) & access to a lovely pool (where we spent several hours today); and 4) to be almost settled before this baby makes her debut.

Of course, all change is bittersweet. Today on the way home from swimming, Chatterbox let out a deep sigh and said, "I miss Grandma and Grandpa" (which is especially funny considering Grandma had spent the better part of Friday helping me unpack the kitchen and play room!) Luckily they were in the area today and stopped by for a quick visit. I think that helped C-box get her grandparents fix.

Sorry about no comments on blogs recently. I have just caught up reading them all, but I was so far behind, that I had to maximize time and stick to reading. I'm back in business, though, so you'll be hearing from me.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew you wouldn't take very much time unpacking- very like you- on top of it all even while you are bursting at the seams (36wks). What are you going to do about those windows?

Michelle said...

Congrats on your new home! I am so excited for you! I can't believe you only have 4 weeks left. So fun!

Cluff Family said...

I am so happy for you. I can't wait to see you and hopefully a little baby at Grandma's birthday!

jan said...

How exciting. I am glad to hear that you didn't also have the baby on the day you moved. How fun to have your own house.

Liz said...

Your move sounds all too familiar. I was 36 weeks with Isaac when we moved to Michigan and it was so hot and humid that day I had hobbit feet! But I did help with the whole nesting thing. Thanks for your post on my blog I'll have to email you with some questions. Have fun with the rest of your new home set up!

Jenafur said...

HI Emily, I just started a blog :).
I'd love to come help you unpack, if it would be helpful. I haven't decided if coming with my kids would be helpful or just the opposite. Let my know : )! BTW I love your blog.
-Jennifer

amydear said...

Glad you survived the move -- if only barely. I'll be thinking of you the next few weeks! We had to do some immediate blind placing when we moved it too, and the kids still have blankets stapled to their window frames. I'm not quite ready to decide on color schemes. My advice: get the boxes out of the master bedroom asap. We saved it until last, but it was so much more relaxing when they were gone. And I laughed at D tossing out all the "item-specific" boxes. Kyle was finally ready to do that this move too.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting closed, moved, and almost unpacked. Way to go! I wish I could have been there to help you but I am glad you had lots of help. I will have to come back and visit sometime after you are all settled!

Angie said...

How fun to be in your own home! That's awesome. I can't believe you were daring enough to move at 36 weeks pregnant! You are crazy girl. Way to go on puting the house together though! Welcome back to fast internet as well.

Ming said...

I'm so excited for you! Didn't I warn you about moving at 36 weeks pregnant...If not I should've. Sorry. I think my move put me into false labor. It all worked out in the end though, and was definitely worth it. I would've hated moving with a brand new baby. You'll be so glad to have your new home to bring the new little girl to. I can't wait to see you guys next week!

mama bear said...

Oh, I can't wait to throw all these boxes away that we've been carting around with us the past 8 years! I'm glad you are moved in and somewhat put together, and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Ken and Amy said...

It must be nice to almost feel settled. Good work on all the unpacking. From the sound of it, I think you've been given some "nesting power". I'm surprised you haven't gone into labor yet!

Bowen Family said...

Congratulations on your new place! We need to get your new address. I hope you are not over doing it. We miss you guys and hope we get to see you sometime soon.