Monday, July 21, 2008

A respite from the sun

I awakened this morning to an overcast sky, gray and nondescript. It makes me smile.

I love LOVE the weather in my new home (California). I adore that you only need a jacket in the winter. I love that spring and fall are pure perfection almost daily. And I usually do not miss the rain. (It hardly ever rains.)

But I sure have seen a whole lot of sun lately.

I started thinking about summertime in Michigan. It's sticky and hot and never really cools off, but you get some intense thunder storms. Just weeks after moving there in 2004 (must have been July or August) I was awake most of the night, cowering at the claps of thunder and shivering with fear at the lightning striking so close. But I learned to appreciate the storms (a little) and watch them out our big glass doors.

I got that from my dad. In the home I grew up in (in Utah), we had a big picture window in the front room. Each time there was a lightning storm, we would sit in there with the lights off and watch it, reveling in the majesty of nature. I didn't do it without him, though; it was too scary.

So I wonder--what are the chances of me catching a serious storm in the 2 weeks I'm here in Utah? This time of year, they're probably not great. I can hope, though. I'll even settle for a sprinkling I can stand in. And I won't miss the sun at all.

6 comments:

Cluff Family said...

We had a huge one here in St George last night. Carter and I love thunder storms too! I bet you will get some rain while you are here. Can't wait to see you!

caligirl said...

Guess what...it rained here yesterday! It was pretty cool to wake up to a gray sky (after living in MI I can't believe I said that:-) Pretty crazy. I hope all is well. Megs wakes up every morning and ask to go swimming at your house:-) Take care...we miss you!

Emily said...

I LOVE, love, LOVE the rain and thunderstorms. I actually have found memories as a kid in relation to this too. Whenever it would storm, my mom would open all the windows and let in the fresh smell of rain and it just seemed our home was so peaceful and relaxing. I loved the thunderstorms in Michigan and that is one cool thing about living in Houston too, the earth shaking thunder and tropical rains. It is heavenly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily. We are here in Utah. I know you are probably super busy getting ready to have the baby, but if you have some free time give me a call, maybe we can get together. My email is spfletcher75@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

We drove home yesterday (it took all day- cami didn't like the mts much)and the radio kept telling us about tornado warnings all the way through Nevada. Though I didn't want to run into a bad storm- I loved the big plopping raindrops and the lightning! Nothing beats the storms in El Salvador though .

Anonymous said...

No new posts, does this mean we are having a baby?