Saturday, August 16, 2008

Where we stand-life with Baby

I smell like milk.

It's just one of the many facts of my new life. Adjusting to a newborn is a tricky process, mainly because nothing the newborn does is predictable. One day, she sleeps like she'll never wake again; the next, her gray-blue baby eyes stare me down for 3 hours straight, daring me to quit holding her.

And every one of them is different. What's up with that? Can't they just come the same--that way my experience might actually be beneficial, instead of just a badge of courage saying, "I've done this twice before. Yet I still feel like a bumbling idiot of a mother."

Did I mention that this new one has some serious pipes? The kid can screech. When #1 was an infant, she would wake me at night with little grunts. I don't think I heard her actually cry until she was 4 months old. Once I took her on the airplane and heard someone else's newborn wailing. I was shocked to hear the hideous sound and consoled myself that my newborn had a gentle, almost pleasant way of making herself heard. Not this kid. She's a screamer--and that's probably a good thing, since she's child #3. She came into the world with noise and she'll probably have to make some all her life to be noticed.

One more lovely fact of my life--nothing seems to get done around here. The kids are dressed with hair combed by 10, but I usually take another hour, and that's with no makeup. Thank goodness for afternoon kindergarten, which starts a week from Monday.

7 comments:

Paige said...

Oh, man. The memories are flooding back. My third was a screamer, too. And my first two were NOT. I will admit that it was a REALLY hard time for me. I hope for everyone's sake that she settles into a routine soon and that her awesome big sisters teach her the fine art of cooing and grunting so she can give her lungs a break. And if it doesn't happen, I can promise that it will NOT go on forever. Number three is now the happiest, most pleasant child. He is still strong willed, but he rarely cries and is just a really really cute, happy kid. I think he got it all out in the first eight months of life. :)

Woods said...

It's a good thing she is amazingly adorable! The screech thing would definately be hard to get used to. I just really want to see her in person.

Angie said...

I still can't believe how much the little one looks like #2 when she was a baby. When I saw her picture I was shocked. Do you think that? She's adorable though. At least you are still getting things done. I don't have any kids and some days I am in my pjs all day long with a dirty house. Oh well. Congrats on your celebrity news btw. That's so funny that your blog was on the main page. I've always enjoyed reading your blog. Yay for school starting for #1. That will give you a nice break.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a blast! You are the best mom ever. I love how much time you take trying to do the best you can no matter what your season in life. Way to go! Did I overwhelm you with the card file email? I am so sorry, I got over zealous to share! Love you :>

Mays and Matt said...

Hey, I remember those days. Nursing 24/7, kids looking a little disheveled, no time for yourself. . . Aah, what I wouldn't give to be 32 again.

Cluff Family said...

This particular post does not leave me yearning for baby number five!

amydear said...

Post more pictures immediately! I want to see more of Baby. And KJ definitely has a set of lungs, so I feel for you. J always cried like she had the piano soft pedal on -- muffled. It was uncanny, but nice. And I'm hardly dressed and ready by 10am, and my "baby" isn't so baby anymore. We need a house update too, while we're at it. How goes it? Oh, does this paragraph have bad structure or what??