Friday, October 24, 2008

King of the candy

I think we can all agree that, for kids, Halloween is a candy-centric holiday. Back in the day, my younger brothers and I would splay on the floor after our hard-fought evening of gathering, dump the contents of our trick-or-treat bags, and start evaluating. (Yep, that's us. Aren't homemade costumes the greatest?)



Brand name chocolate of any kind ranked high in value. Smarties, not so much. Inexplicably, Sixlets weren't too far from the top of my coveted candy list, perhaps because they were elusive. Dum-dums were a dime a dozen and had to be traded in multiples. ("I'll give you six dum-dums and a smartie for a Snickers" and even then this kind of trade was only pulled off on an inexperienced trick-or-treater such as a 3 or 4 year old sibling.) Nerds were decent, though their current state of abundance now makes them less so.

Tonight was the first of four dressing up events this year--the elementary school's Fall Fair. When all was said and done, my girls and I plopped ourselves down on the family room carpet and sorted through their 'trunk or treat' loot. The moment took me straight back to childhood and I sat and absorbed it. I even managed to enjoy it without eating a bite. Interestingly, the most coveted candy of the evening was one of my old favorites, made over a bit--chewy lemonheads and friends. Oh how I wish I had a bag to dole out on Hallow's Eve.

What were your childhood favorites? What are you giving out this year? It better be good, or the kids will give you this face:

11 comments:

Susie said...

Chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate! Especially Milk Duds and Whoppers. The empty-calorie sugary stuff really does nothing for me. I would have traded 50 Dum Dums for a single Snickers bar. You were too generous as a kid:)

Polliwog said...

Yes, but the real question is are you giving out chocolate to the neighborhood? I usually have some on hand for the kids I know. I'm mean, huh?

Emily said...

These are such great pictures. Dracula has such scary teeth! Oooh. Your candy ratings are right on. I LOVE lemonheads too. I so remember the anticipation of getting home and dumping it all out to see it all laid out in candy glory. I actually sorted mine base on my favorites (to be hidden from my brother) and the stuff I'd share when friends came over. ;) As for the Halls, we always buy the good stuff...as Warren says Choc-O-Laat! You know Snickers, Twix, Reeses, Kit-Kat, Butterfinger...oh yea and I did but the some Sour Patch Kids and Sweedish Fish too.

Emily said...

PS...I swear we had that same exact wallpaper (the top part)!

Angie said...

I always have loved Halloween! It's the best. We would go out for hours to see who could get the most candy and we would count and re-count every piece. My parents would usually make my bros and sis's trade their candy for whatever I wanted. I always have been a spoiled brat! I am being boring this year because of all the stupid allergies. Why do kids these days have so many freaking allergies? I am passing out little tubs of play-doh from Target. I really hope the kids will enjoy it still. Am I bad for not giving out chocolate? I didn't want the extra chocolate sitting around my house after buying all that candy earlier this month!

Polliwog said...

ha ha. I just realized that I already posted about Halloween candy. That ought to tell you the truth--for ME, Halloween is a candy-centric holiday. How embarrassing.

Class of 1970 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DawnTreader said...

Look at how gingerly Dracula (that's me) is holding that pumpkin--as if he's horrified to have something so ridiculous in his evil hand. And look how into the costume I am. AWESOME.

As for candy, chocolate always topped the list--especially, for me, Reese's anything, M&Ms, and, yes, Sixlets. MMMMMM.

Homemade stuff and fruit was the worst to get.

I used to make my candy last almost the entire year in my wooden Casa de Fruta box. Of course, by the next Halloween I'd usually only have those sick black licorice-flavored, pumpkin salt water toffees, waiting to be replaced with the new loot.

Mays and Matt said...

I'm going with the homemade donuts from Sister Jones, and of course, the DIMES the older couples used to had out, like a dime would by ANY kind of decent candy, plus we had to do the work of going and getting it ourselves. I think those dimes usually just stayed on the carpet after the sorting had taken place. Misguided magic, that's what dimes were. LOVE Halloween, and LOVE your post!!

Maren Hansen said...

Halloween has been my fave holiday for as long as I can remember. The sheer, unadulterated and socially-acceptable greed is heaven! It makes me think of that book Seinfeld wrote about Halloween--he really hit the nail on the head. We will be giving out one of those big bags of fruity candy mixes from Costco: Nerds, Laughy Taffy, Sweetarts, etc. Gotta have something that doesn't kill the peanut-allergies...

Cheri said...

LOOOOVE the blue hair! And I very much lament the lost art of homemade costumes. This year i had fun making the bags, instead. As far as candy goes, Twix, Reeses ANYTHING, 3 musketeers, and anything sour or licorice were the tops for me. Heavily traded - like the Old Maid card- were Good & Plenty's (is that name supposed to be a threat?) and Sugar Daddy's and Babies. Along with Nut Rolls. Ewwwwww!

I love Halloween!