I had a thankful moment on Tuesday-- I sat poolside, enjoying sweet pork sandwiches with my friend Talli as our babies slept and our toddlers splashed away. That's when I realized how lucky I am to have the luxury of scheduling such experiences. Being home with my kids has its advantages.
I had a similar thankful moment today, but under starkly contrasting circumstances. I'd worked furiously to have my kids dressed, fed and ready for the day to accommodate a 9:00 am playdate. Before the friends could arrive (but sadly after all my effort), Chatterbox complained of a hurting tummy and emphasized the point shortly thereafter by vomiting all over the kitchen. Of course a stripping, bathing, mopping frenzy ensued, Baby A screaming violently all the while. But when the dust settled and I had comforted my sick child and soothed my angry one (Smidget being a non-factor for once!), I felt again a peace and overwhelming thankfulness to have been the one to live those moments of my children's lives.
I know not everyone can be home all day raising kids. I know some women simply choose not to. I am not offering judgment on any individual's choice. For me though, being home and being present for the heavenly moments as well as the miserable ones is a treasure for which I am deeply grateful.
5 comments:
What a sweet post. Yes, it is wonderful to be at home, and I feel grateful that my circumstances permit me to share the good and the bad with my children. You're in good company.
Simply stated, and well stated. Wish I could have been poolside for the sandwiches and chit chat. Bit lonely here this week, but at least no throw up. You are a wonderful mother, in good times and not-so-good. : )
Yes, and just what I needed to reflect on too. Warren had a bathroom incident today and I had to exersize my patience. "Mommy, don't go in there cause there is an accident. Its ok mommy, don't go in there."
This is a great post and a great reminder of how precious parenthood is. I am extremely grateful that although I have always had to bring in an income I have been blessed to find creative ways to do so while being able to be available to raise my own children. There have been times it didn't seem possible and yet something always worked out. I wish it could have been easier but I am well aware of how much worse it could have been!
Say it sister--I too LOVE being able to be home and think I should thank Dh more often for working so hard so I can...
Post a Comment