Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Gratitude

Gratitude--It's probably on all of our minds lately. Possibly you've heard a sermon or two referencing it. This year the thankful thoughts that have been bouncing around my brain are centered on peace and safety.

If you've ever read "To Destroy You is No Loss" or any other book about genocide (Cambodia, Eastern Europe, Rwanda, etc) you'll relate quickly to my thoughts. At night, I always step into the girls' rooms and check to be sure everyone is safe and settled. I replace and smooth kicked-off quilts, I pick up books and toys that have mysteriously appeared under heads or backs. I dim lights and turn off music. And then I pause to look at the peaceful, almost cherubic expressions on my children's faces as they sleep. Each time I do this, my heart subsequently fills with relief and gratitude that our life circumstances allow my daughters to sleep safely without fear, hunger, or cold. I can imagine nothing more painful than to watch my children suffer or to see them hurt and to helplessly stand by. I know that our peaceful lives are due entirely to blessings from heaven.

I don't know what the future holds for my children or for me, but I have felt lately that it's time to get my home and family prepared for disasters that we may face in coming years. I don't think any of us need to be consumed by fear, but if something were to happen and I didn't have water or food to sustain my children, I just might face the pain I dread. I don't mean this to be a downer post--I set out to express my gratitude. Peace of mind is one of the greatest blessings we can enjoy and I hope to hang onto it for my family's sake.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Although I do not agree with the war in Iraq, or the middle east, I do appreciate all of the sacrifices that our soldiers are making in our behalf so that we can raise our families in peace for the time being. We are truly blessed to live in the USA and I think it is so important that we never forget it. Thank you for your post!

Cheri said...

Hear, hear. Last week I saw a pic in the New York Times of two children running frantically looking for their parents in Somalia. The girl was carrying her probably 2 year old sibling on her back who had a look on her face of pure terror. It shook me up terribly and made me think of the things you have recently been mulling around as well. We are SO blessed to live where we do, at the time we do, and with the knowledge we have (both spiritual and temporal).

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you enjoy it to it's fullest!

Maren Hansen said...

I too have had the feeling. If it's not enough that our prophets have repeatedly counseled us to be prepared, it's a clincher to see pics like Cheri mentioned. I mourn the days when I won't be able to softly kiss baby cheeks and smooth back hair while they snooze. Either they'll grow up or our life will change dramatically. So I am grateful for right now and the sweetness (in between the craziness) that they bring to me.

Liz said...

I am so glad to hear that someone else has read that book. Chris has kids in his art history classes read it just because it is such a good book and one that I think everyone needs to read. I for one have never looked at a cup of rice the same after reading it. I am with you all the way on being prepared. I try not to get too carried away with my preparedness but I do think it is wise to get things in order and especially be thankful for the many blessings we continue to have.