
One down, nine to go.
To be quite honest, I was least interested in this book (sorry Paige). I am no shopper, and really doubted I could relate to a shopaholic. I was pleasantly surprised.
Though I never read Bridget Jones' Diary (I've seen the movie on TV), this book reminded me of it. Written in first person, we are thus privy to Rebecca Bloomwood's thoughts--each and every one of them. She's quite a character. I loved the copious references to English shops (having lived there for 4 months, I've been in many of them, so this brought back fond memories). I also loved all of the British words and phrases, though admittedly I didn't understand a few of them.
Also, apparently, the world should be banned of pink velour jogging suits. (Some of you may remember that I own one of these. Make that OWNED. The Salvation Army has it now.)
This was a perfect book to ease me back into reading again. It was light, but well written. Humorous but applicable (many of her addictive rationalizations apply nicely to my chocolate addictions). I plan on reading the rest of the Shopaholic books. . . .
But not until I make it through my list. Geography of Bliss is next!
Anybody reading along? Let's hear what you thought of this one.
Thanks for a great recommendation, Paige.
Oh, and I was thrilled to hear there is a movie coming out February 13 (just in time for Valentine's Day!) Hugh Dancy is the lead! MMM (Have you seen Daniel Deronda? If not, do so immediately. Especially if you like British period pieces.)
4 comments:
Hey, I'm not offended!! I am fully aware that chick lit is the extend of my bookshelf right now -- but like I said, there is so much drama in my life and in the world that mindless romantic comedies are all I can handle and still sleep well at night. Glad you were able to get through it! ;) There is also something to be said for a book you can read in a day and be done with it.
My "sorry Paige" was about my preconceived notions. my "thanks Paige" comes afterward. I really, really enjoyed it. I hope I made that clear in my review.
I also owned a pink velour jogging suit. Until I saw my chubby self in the mirror in it and I looked naked, and chubby. See ya pink, hello black.
I'm not so much reading along, but I did read this book on a Florida beach about a year ago. It was the perfect beach book. Light, fun & funny. A cotton candy book if you will. I'm looking forward to the movie as well, although I noticed it's set in NYC and not London...disappointing.
Post a Comment