Saturday, December 13, 2008

Nineteen Minutes


I know, I know Geography of Bliss is next. I'm working on it! But truth be told, expository nonfiction is a relatively new genre for me (I've only opened my eyes to it the last 3 years or so) and it takes me a lot longer to digest. So since I can't rip through it as quickly, I am filling in with some lighter fare on the side. I picked up Nineteen Minutes because I had it from the library. I've read some of Jodi Picoult's books, so I knew it would be intriguing and easy to read. It was.

Here's what I thought--and beware of spoilers. I don't think I can review this without letting a little of it out of the bag. First of all, the book centers on a school shooting, akin to Columbine. I liked Picoult's organization; she alternated chapters from the past leading up to the climax, and from the shooting through the trial. Her characterization was excellent. I actually found myself feeling compassion for the 'bad guy' and despising a few of the 'victims'. She explored other angles too, like the parents of both the shooter and the victims.

Her plot development was a bit heavy-handed. The final ironic twist was foreshadowed from about the third chapter of the book and I had it completely nailed early enough that it was a little disappointing. Also, the teenage boy who is the shooter is so sympathetic that you really want him to come away from it with some sort of sympathy and understanding from the community-- with some kind of break from the judge-- with mercy, I guess. But of course that can't happen and so there is no way for the ending to be satisfying. I felt it was blunt and unfinished though.

That all being said, it's a book that makes you think and ask questions. It's a book that makes you fear the future a bit and reexamine your parenting skills. And any book that does that is worth reading. Oh, but be warned--there is a good deal teenager sex innuendo, some fairly detailed. There was lots of skipping going on.

Thanks, Amy. Another good read.

5 comments:

amydear said...

Well, I should have thought of something better, but I like a book that moves along. She has a few out I haven't read yet. Avoid "Salem Falls." Did not care for that one! And I always forget if there's any scenes to skip. Hope I didn't lead you astray!

Polliwog said...

You know me, it's fine. :) It was a good read.

I just didn't want to blog to the world without getting that in. It's different recommending it to one person who you know versus anyone who might read my blog.

Emily said...

I like your reviews....it makes me feel more productive than I really am. Meaning, I don't read for leisure enough. Keep them up.

karina said...

So, if The Geography of Bliss isn't your thing, read The Book Thief instead - (to tell you the truth, I don't actually "read" books like ...Bliss because they're so long and it's not necessary. I just jump around and enjoy the writing a bit until I'm done...meaning, I didn't read the whole thing, so why should you have to?

Polliwog said...

Karina, Little did you know, that is my plan exactly. In fact, I am about 100 pages into the Book Thief and quite enjoying it. Bliss is not bad, just harder for me to keep at. In other words, the flaw is in me, not the book. :)