Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Insanity. I want some of that.

Did you know that some people are getting an insane amount of groceries for spare change? This is unfathomable to me. And I want in.

The only problem is that here in California, the bargains seem much harder to come by. Part of it has to be the lack of competition in the grocery stores. Not a one of them in my city doubles coupons, a phenomenon I have read much of in my recent internet scouring. It almost makes me want to give up on a hobby I am just starting to acquire.

But I think I'll stick to it anyway. A penny saved and all that.

So I am trying my hand at couponing. If you're interested in saving money, even if it's not an insane amount, here are my most recent favorites--

mommysnacks (click on her 'blogroll' link on the right for a slew of couponing sites)
grocerycartchallenge

10 comments:

Kierstin said...

Aren't you rich enough you can devote your time to other things? Well I am not that rich, but I still don't want to spend my free time gathering coupons and driving all over town. I use click-n-pull at Sam's club and that's good enough for me. But save those pennies and spend them on something fun.

Polliwog said...

I just like the idea of a bargain, I guess. It seems kind of fun. I wouldn't let it consume my life, but if I can save a few bucks with a little expended effort, it's got to be worth it. It may burn itself out soon, we shall see.

And btw, KP, do I know you?

Ming said...

Ahh, it seems everyone I know is getting into couponing lately. I didn't even know this word, "couponing" existed until a week ago and not it's all I hear. My sister is crazy for it, my visiting teachers went on for an hour about it, and now you! My sister is desperately trying to get me jazzed about it, but I just can't seem to get excited. She was paid to take home yogurt the other day. Yes, you heard right. She had enough coupons that the grocery store actually owed her money on the yogurt she was "purchasing." Then she bought 35 boxes of Rice Krispies for 5 dollars! My question was where are you putting all that cereal? In her son's closet she replied. Lucky him :) Anyway, the deals are crazy and great if you can get them. I just have a hard time getting myself to find said deals. Let me know how it turns out.

Mays and Matt said...

I agree that it seems impossible, but I also want to ride this train. Teach me. I'll be your young padawan.

Charity said...

Uggh. I wish I could be a better couponer, but unfortunately, I live in good ol' Alaska, where you have your choice of 2 stores. Safeway, or Fred Meyer. No super wal-mart, smiths, super-target (we JUST got our first target 6 months ago) so they grocery stores don't have that much incentive to be generous with coupons. Maybe someday if I ever move..sigh...like that will ever happen! good luck, keep us posted.

BTW, I'm a Marathon Mommy..in case you were wondering :)

amydear said...

I just can't get into the coupon thing, but maybe it's worth a try every once in a while. I will click on these links and see what's up! I love a good bargain, but not if it takes me all day.

amydear said...

Oh, and KP is kierstin G. from AAU

Kierstin said...

I have to weigh in here one more time. Here is my theory on shoppers or shopping. Those people that are really good at finding the the deals spend a lot of time shopping and since they find so many good deals they also buy a lot more (i.e., spend more money). So I am perfectly content to be a poor shopper (in every shopping area) and buy less. I am probably in the minority.

I must tell you though that I and my husband are enjoying nice new pairs of Keens thanks to one of your posts.

Polliwog said...

Ah hah! KP. I should have remembered, sorry.

And Charity, I have read your blog from time to time--I know you! :)

I am thinking it takes a lot of time initially to figure things out (like Walgreens which is what I'm working on now) but I'm hoping there's a learning curve and that it will get more streamlined. I'm giving it a month.

Jill said...

This all sounds very painful and exhausting (as if I don't have enough aggravation!) But I did want to say Hi!