Monday, March 2, 2009

Amazing what a little sleep can do for you

Queenie has developed some great qualities since our initial bout with fussiness, colic and general intolerability, but sleeping through the night is not one of them. Our late night trysts have regularly been twice a night for a very long time. I have gotten used to it--in fact, it has just become a part of life. But at the doctor's office last week, she strongly encouraged me to get rid or our 2:00 a.m. feeding. Spurred on by this boost of support, I set out to do it. After just 2 easy nights of me giving her a binky and patting her back for 30 seconds instead of picking her up and feeding her, she slept 8 hours. Surely this blessed event was a fluke! I didn't care, though. I woke up at 4:45 for my Saturday long run and actually felt wide awake as opposed to dragging like a zombie. I didn't even want a nap. The next night she did another 8 hours. And last night, 9 hours! I am a changed woman. Of course, I am not holding my breath that it will continue. But I sure hope it does.

11 comments:

Crystal said...

Rub it in why don't you! I hope it continues for you.

Cheri said...

Awesome. I bet it will continue! Sounds like she was ready for it. Here's hoping! Stay strong. (:

amydear said...

Good news! I always like it when I get good advice from a doctor. I STILL can't believe you're getting up that early, though. You are a champ.

Emily said...

That is awesome. So did she cry when you tried the binky? Ben was only doing one feeding per night for a while but then I stopped feeding him just before I went to bed (per a book that I read) and now he is getting up 2 times again. I have tried giving the binky but he just gets ticked off. What times are you feeding her?

Angie said...

Whoa, that's amazing! Way to go. I really hope that she keeps sleeping well so that you can function better. That would be fantastic for you. I still don't know how you get all that motivation to run. I really need to find my motivation to work out. Be glad that you are not running here in MI. It is still freezing here! I can't believe how cold it is in March!

Susie said...

Congratulations! I'm still counting the days until sleep becomes a reality for me.

Paradise said...

Maybe I should take your doctor's advice too! You are a great mom!

Polliwog said...

Another night of 9. Hooray.

Em, I was feeding her right before I went to bed too (11) but recently it's been more like 8 pm then down for bed, then wake at 5 (or just before) for a feeding, back to bed until 7ish. It's perfect for my running schedule--a nice bonus.

She didn't really cry with the binky/pat thing. It was ridiculously easy. But I do roll her back to her tummy. She just cries if she's on her back.

Dr. aafb said...

I look forward to that day when Drake decides to sleeping for longer than a 3-4 hour stint. Maybe then I can get back to running. Are you training for anything?

Polliwog said...

aafb,
Yes, the Agoura Hills Pacific Coast half marathon at the end of March and then the Wasatch Back relay in June. It is keeping me motivated!

Emily said...

That is awesome. Ben seriously gets broken hearted if he wakes and I try to sneak by to go to the bathroom or something and don't pick him up. He is totally spoiled.

I gotta get tuff on that boy. He has enough squish, I know he isn't starving.....