Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday, part 1

It's been foggy all week. Miserable, misty and downright depressing--that's how it's been and that's about how I feel after a week of this chilly fogginess. This morning I went for a run--I had to drive through the spooky stuff to meet my pals. It was an okay run. I'm pretty slow these days and having trouble finding energy to get it done. It's been an off year for me that way. I think a marathon can do that to some people. Some people get addicted; I hit a downward spiral after my marathon over a year ago and have had a hard time getting back my mojo.

Before heading home (I was 15 minutes away after all), I tried to cover up my nastiness by throwing a pair of loose sweats (as opposed to my way-too-tight black running pants) and a fresh jacket over my stinky self and I stopped at Target. It was a special day at our house and I had some last minute shopping to do before Smidget's 5th birthday party! I arrived there at 7:50, ten minutes before opening. There were lots of empty cars in the lot (I estimated over 20), all up close in prime parking spots. As I sat and waited for Target to open, I watched at least 6 employees park their cars--RIGHT IN THE FRONT OF THE LOT!-- and head in to the store. I was shocked . . . no wonder there are never any decent parking spots there.

But let me tell you, Target at opening on Saturday morning is a beautiful thing. Shelves all orderly and stocked, not a cart in the aisle. I had to use the bathroom ('nuff said but running friends are cringing) and it was unsullied by human touch. Or so it seemed. And, oh sweet Saturday, there were no lines! I stocked up on the birthday supplies (and did my Valentine's Day shopping too because how can I get past all that cuteness when I don't have kids hanging on my sleeve?)

I also capitalized on this child-free moment to treat myself to some oatmeal from Jamba Juice. Berries and pecans anyone? Amazing!

Arriving home, I found D busy cleaning the kitchen and making pancakes. He had also whipped the little soldiers into shape and they were grudgingly doing their chores. (Being the general for Saturday chores always makes D a little grumpy, but I sure do appreciate not having to do it!)

After all was cleaned, we set about making a new mess--birthday supplies were soon scattered across the floor and the girls were excitedly stuffing goodie bags, decorating the walls with letters, and making cupcakes with daddy.

More to come tomorrow .... pictures too~

1 comment:

Susie said...

Nothing like a birthday party to interrupt the dullness that is January!