I feel a little deflated. Wasn't it just moments ago that I clicked the orange "publish post" button to say how much I was anticipating the coming tropical vacation. Now it's over--hmph.
It actually was, in the end, "all worth it"--my mantra was upheld. There were so many moments where I couldn't believe my luck. For instance, our final night on the island I floated lazily on my back in the pool just before 10 pm. I gazed up at the stars peeping from the black sky, all framing the coconut trees, whose leaves hung around the periphery of my vision, protectively. . . . the moment embodied tranquility for me.
Here's a quick trip description--be forewarned: it's not very polished.
Sunday--we arrived after our 5 and something hour flight. The girls slept for half the flight (what luck!); Though gorgeous from the air . . .
. . . Honolulu wasn't so pretty, at least around the airport. Yikes. We ate at a scary Subway after renting minivan; then we picked up Jeff and Mindy at the airport and drove to the resort. We swam in the ocean and pool (heathens), then the rest of family arrived. I was so excited to see my bro Gary (fresh off his mission) for the first time! Then the whole clan (party of 13) drove, lost, around the island searching in vain for an Outback (my parents were sure they had seen one last time they were here). We finally found locals willing to lead our caravan to said food spot, so we filled up our tummies and went home to SLEEP!
Highlight of day: Seeing Gary! Sleeping in comfy bed with down comforter; it was like sleeping on a fluffy cloud.
Monday--The majority of us went on a foraging expedition (hit McD's for bfast before finding a Costco and Foodland where we could stock up for the week). Then we passed Outback (oh, that wasn't so hard to find after all!). Before and after lunch we swam in the pool, splashed in the ocean, and took in the sun. At 5 pm we joined the Mai Tai welcome party (we drank tropical punch); got lei'd (see photo) . . .
Highlight of day: Men in skirts and rippling chests. Just kidding--my first Hawaiian sunset (I missed it on Sunday)
Tuesday--ran 5.5 miles along the beach and through the resort--finally, I can say I ran somewhere with a view!; walked/explored the resort; swam, played water volleyball and water basketball, frisbee on the beach; bbq'd and relaxed. Went to a timeshare presentation to learn more about this spot and, really, to earn a dinner cruise! Mindy got stuck in the elevator for an hour, earning all of us a free ticket to the Ha Iki luau Thursday night (doubt they knew how many of us they were inviting!) Way to take one for the team, Min!
Highlight of day: Running along the edge of the marina (sailboats and yachts everywhere--I suspect we may have been trespassing); water volleyball with Chaz (crazy mean little 8 year old we naively allowed to join our friendly family game)
Wednesday--more running; more relaxing; dinner cruise, which was somewhat seedy--mediocre food, poor entertainment, but a spectacular view of ocean, southern coast and sites, and dolphins!! Lots and lots of leaping dolphins all around our ship. Wow. Wow.
Highlight of day: Dolphins. Definitely the dolphins.
Thursday--more running; Hanauma Bay for snorkeling--holy cow, you didn't even need goggles, the fish just swarmed everywhere; incredible. Luau at hotel, put on by Polynesian Cultural Center--so fun! We all got tattoos . . .
Highlight of day: Dancing with D on stage at the luau; the music and sunset combo at the luau.
Friday--Dole pineapple plantation (take a ride on the Pineapple Express!) Okay, who knew that pineapples grew . . .
Of course, the joke was that they make the tourists do all the work (the day we were there it was some unheard of holiday so, though they claimed it was a working plantation, we didn't see any workers. We got some chuckles out of that). We concluded our Dole visit (yes, a few puns were made) by eating tasty pineapple ice cream topped with (what else?)--pineapple! Yum.
Highlight of day: The food! Shrimp, pineapple ice cream; all so nummy!; also the fire knife dancing portion of the PCC show.
Saturday--Pearl Harbor (USS Arizona) tour;
Highlight of day: Pearl Harbor and night swimming
Sunday--Packing, traveling . . . the end. So sad.
Highlight of day: How sweet it was that my angel Chatterbox, who very rarely can't control her emotions cried for 40 minutes after we left the resort-- "But Mom, I don't want to go home!!" "But I had so much fun there!" and, this morning she entered my room at 8 am crying. "Mom, I want to be in Hawaii!"
Me too. Let's cry together.
7 comments:
Hmm . . . where are the pictures? :) Sounds like a lot of running! Hope you got some pictures of that. Just kidding. Glad your back and that the hurricane did not spoil your tropical vacation. Now come back to Michigan and bring the sun; it's raining buckets here.
amypete
Just saying hi from one "polliwog" to another. :-) Nice to find another one! Great blog!
I am also waiting to see the pictures..... glad to hear you had a good time, and the hurricane didn't spoil your trip.
Anna
I'm glad you are home safe! Sounds AMAZING. I have a feeling you'll be going back. Like the others, I can't see the pictures--I need some visuals here!
What fun! I can't imagine anything more fun than going to Hawaii except maybe going to Hawaii with the Lind clan. I can't wait to hear more, and see the picts in person! I love that you have joined the blogging club. I sure enjoy what you write.
Can you believe how hard it is to come back from vacation? It always takes me a week to get back in a good groove. I am thoroughly impressed with all of your running. I guess you had a lot of beautiful scenery to motivate you. Great vacation recap. It all sounded just wonderful.
Hope you don't mind that Aunt Anne's been enjoying your blog site. I was on Lori's blog, saw your link and just could'nt resist. I haven't had the Hawaii report from your mom yet, so I loved reading your travelog. Hawaii is heaven, isn't it? Those girls are a little bit of heaven too.....
Post a Comment