So, in honor of the magic taper I have before me (for non-runners, this means that in the next 3 weeks my running will gradually decrease from 36 miles to 8 miles per week in preparation for the big event), I have a few "bests" and "worsts" to share.
- Most valuable change--my attitude towards my treadmill! (I used to never run on that thing, and only 2 miles at the most. Having done a 16 miler on it and survived, I feel that I have conquered the formidable dread I had for such workouts. I now even (gasp) enjoy my treadmill runs.
- Accomplishment of which I am most proud--sticking with training in spite of a cross-country move and an injured foot.
- Most beautiful run--along the beaches of Oahu
- Most frightening run--first run in Fresno, on the farm, being chased down on 3 separate occasion by dogs. And it was only a 3 mile run. Thus began my love affair with the treadmill.
- Most difficult run--12 miler in Utah, hands down. Altitude, heat, hills, dehydration, late start? There were so many possible problems I can't even narrow it down.
- Save-the-day running partner--I have two: my sweet husband, who came through for me when we moved here and I was about to throw in the towel. If not for him, I would have given up the dream a couple of times, and I am not exaggerating. Second, Talli, who moved to Fresno in the nick of time to run my 18 and 20 milers (don't think I could have eked those out on the treadmill) and even had the mental strength to do a 20 when her schedule said 18. Impressive.
- Lessons learned? 1. I love running and hope I never, ever give it up. I will get back to you on whether I will ever train for another marathon, but I think halfs are in my future for a long while. 2. It feels amazing to push yourself beyond what you ever thought was possible. 3. Daily efforts, and even small weekly improvements, yield unthinkable growth (think gospel parallels here).
4 comments:
Hey! I love your blog. I am totally inspired. I like not love to run, but have givin up this summer due to way to hot conditions and the lack of motivation to wake up in the cool hours of the morning. Now that we are back on the early morning school schedule, I would like to start training. I swim and lift weights, but miss running. I ma wondering what training schedule you are using. Let me know, mabey you can spur me on. A marathon, I thought only my dad was crazy enough. Mabey a 1/2 for me or a sprint Tri.
I couldn't have done this without you!! I am so happy to be your running buddy! Especially in Fresno!
TMP
Wow! I can feel the excitement of this post. What a wonderful sense of accomplishment. I am thoroughly impressed with how you've pushed through your training. I can't wait to read your race report. Three cheers for you! (especially for all that treadmill running) holy moly, I'm more of a 1 mile wonder on those... can't stand em!
And good on ya with the hot fudge sunday celebration... well deserved!
Just came across your blog after you posted on Marathon Mommies. We are always looking for new posters to share in the joy (and sorrow) with us. I LOVED this post. I am jealous that you are in taper mode. What marathon are you running? You are a great writer and I look forward to reading more! That is great that you found a good running partner at the right time.
Post a Comment