Having few interesting thoughts to share this evening, I sat down and wondered aloud, "Hmm ... what should I post about tonight?" My husband, with a sheepish smile on his face, promptly voiced, "How excited you are to get DirecTV HD service for your new HD TV!" I laughed--loudly. The possessive pronoun labeling the TV as mine struck me as ironic, since I was vehemently opposed to it joining our family. But then on second thought I decided that maybe I should blog about it. I have a lot to say on the matter.
You see, I don't understand the hooplah about these fancy TV's. To me, it just means a lot more money for something that makes me feel guilty the majority of the time that I or (oh, the horror) my children are using it in the first place. To be fair, this has been the carrot on the end of a very long stick for D and he is giddy with his new live-in friend. While I don't get the TV, he doesn't understand why I want to spend $25 a month for a 7 month "Block of the month" quilting project. ("So that quilt will cost almost $200?" he asked, when I broached the idea. He couldn't really believe the cost, but was confident in his arithmetic skills. So I gave up the dream. Let's face it, it would probably have been almost $200 for half a quilt and a box of material scraps.)
It's hopeless to fret about it. Some things he and I just don't share. He won't set foot in JoAnn's under any circumstance. I feel only slightly less passionately about avoiding Best Buy. If you had overheard my conversation with D just now, you would either a) be holding your tummy, laughing or b) shaking your head in disgust and wondering how anyone could be so ignorant--and your reaction would, in most but not all cases, be dependent on your gender. It illustrates our division:
Me: (typing) HD what?
D: What are you saying?
Me: What were your words? It was funny. I want to write it down.
D: DirecTV HD service for your new HD TV.
Me: How do you spell that?
D: What? (In his are-you-an-idiot voice) H.D.
Me: (A little impatiently) No.
D: (In his I-can't-believe-she-can't-spell-it voice) T.V.
Me: No, DirecTV. Is it two words? Are there two t's?
D: One T. One word. I think.
For D, I will try to figure out how to use the universal remote. I think I can learn to love the picture-in-picture feature, the fact that its remote sensor is working, and yes, it will be fun for the football parties coming up. (Hey, football season is just about to start ... that explains it!) The surround sound with large screen will be nice for movies. I suppose we can make room for it in our living room. (I'm trying to exude excitement. Is it working?)
4 comments:
If you decide that you don't want the DirecTV HD TV, I think it would fit well in our living room!
Todd
Hey Em,
Sometimes gender doesn't define who knows or cares about DirectTV HD TV...think Dan and Courtney. I noticed those darn joy school cds the other day--so sorry. I'll send them soon. Your blog is great. I'll be waiting someday for your book...maybe after the marathon.
So funny to hear D's voice in your writing. Almost like I am there, which I wish I was. I'm trying to finagle a Cali vacation in the next year. Stingy pants isn't going for it though.
We bought this 50 inch large screen for $699. It's name is Stevie (you know the teevee.) We love it so much and we can't hardly watch smaller tvs. And I was rather indifferent to TVs before. Enjoy it!
Post a Comment