A rare event happened today. D was home and I went on an errand run, wait for it, wait for it ... by myself! Hurrah. I took the Geo ('95, paint peeling, sorry little thing) and left my Pilot whimpering jealously in the carport. About 5 minutes into the trip, my nerves started in on me. I felt like I was driving an aluminum covered box on rickety wheels. When you get to 60 mph in Little Geo, she starts to shake and make strange noises. Plus, she is so low to the ground I felt like I would be smashed by the trucks looming large all about me.
The funny thing is, I've been driving her for years (and years) and never really noticed these glaring flaws. Sure, when we would get off the freeway, Raffi would be blaring because we'd had to turn it up loud enough to hear over the road noise. And yes, my toddler is adept at rolling down a window (can your child do this? I think not!) or pushing her lock up and down to get out. And now that I think about it, there was a suspicious smell lurking somewhere in her bowels.
Well, there's no going back now. I'm officially spoiled, and really, I don't even want D driving her because I fear so for his safety. I want to be loyal--she's been so good to us. But there's something magical about cruise control and driving up high where I can see the world. And for the first time in a long time, I actually enjoy being out on the road driving around.
There is, however, one thing I will always love about Little Geo. I only wish my Pilot could possess such a quality. That special something can be summed up in two words: gas mileage. Seriously, what is up with gas prices? But that's another blog.
5 comments:
We had a little Honda Civic hatch back that we drove all through college and then some. We brought our first newborn baby home in that car and drove it until there was no a.c., the driver's window wouldn't open and it was just plain spent. I can feel the love for your little Geo! (especially the gas milage part)
Very cute post.
How about three words No Car Payment! You are such an entertaining writer!
So does this mean your getting a new car? The GEO will be missed I am sure. Maybe a new GEO???
Anna
Now that you mention it, Chelle, I did bring both my girls home in that car. How could I ever let it go?
Yep, No Car Payment is, indeed, better than low gas mileage. You've got me there. That car is looking better and better. Maybe I want it back.
And Anna, Dave is dying for a new car, but it's gonna have to wait until his career is a bit more settled. For now, he is dreaming. If only they still made Geos... :)
Whatever man... Geos are what all the cool kids are driving these days. Me thinks you're spoiled because you've been driving a Geo all this time.
Post a Comment