
It smelled like autumn this morning.
I went out early to pull some pesky palm tree starts (those things are nasty!) and a little breeze tickled my cheek. I paused and glanced over my shoulder, as if someone might be waiting to chat. I distinctly felt the presence of fall. It puzzles me, because the high for the day is 95. Not autumn weather, so says my brain, but my soul is all aflutter, singing "Autumn is coming! Autumn is coming!" It's a ticklish excitement.
Reflection has led me to these conclusions:
1) The month at the top of my calendar now reads September and, for most of my life, that has meant it's time for fresh-sharpened pencils, the stiff smell of new clothes, and fevered anticipation for school to begin. Never mind my kids aren't starting school, nor am I. The feeling is conditioned in me.
2) The thermometer has maxed out at a record-breaking 107 a couple times this last week, and finally, yesterday, dropped below triple digits. 95 seems downright chilly.
I am ready to plot our Halloween costumes. Bring on the ambitious birthday plans (Chatterbox and D were both November babies). I am even entertaining the thought of hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year. My brain is flashing warnings--you'll regret this! Don't overdo it!--but the rest of me is embracing the new season wholeheartedly. I hope my first California autumn won't disappoint.
Autumn in Michigan, 2005
4 comments:
Awsome Bog!! :) I love it ! IS it all working okay, I know there were a few glitches in the system earlier.
I too love the fall. I get out the cinnamon room spray , all the cute decor. I bake bake bake. I love all the holdays! HMMM hosting thanksgiving....not a good idea;)
yep, it seems to be working fine. I had to figure out how to cut and paste some of my own html (the book lists, and blog links) because for some reason they didn't transfer over, but a tiny bit of trial and error worked magic. Thanks.
About hosting Th: I can already tell it's not a good idea--I have visions of the cute decorations (that will cost me a fortune) and that's before I even think about the cooking part. Who needs food on Thanksgiving, anyway? Can't my decor be enough?
I had a little visitor at my door yesterday (Little D) who sweetly announced "It's almost Fall." Seems like you're not the only one who's excited! My kids will not stop bugging me about Halloween costumes. It's in the air! And with temps in the upper 60's expected here, it will really feel like fall soon.
Post a Comment