Thursday, September 6, 2007

Big Trees (yes, they are)

Calling them "Big Trees" is an understatement, yet that's what my in-laws always say when they bring up the idea of visiting them. "Why don't we go see the Big Trees?" they suggested when we were brainstorming ideas of how to entertain Dave's brother and his family who were visiting over Labor Day weekend. So we did.


The term "Big Trees" strikes me as a funny. A chuckle lodges in my throat and I can't quite manage to say it with a straight face. No one else gets the joke that continually plays in my head. It's the English teacher in me--I hear myself singing enthusiastically to a herd of rowdy 8th graders: "Be more descriptive!" as I flourish my arms with gusto. "Paint me a picture!" I masterfully ignore the eyes rolling. "Those are generic, I want specific!" They grudgingly start to write. Ah, the joy of teaching.

So I tried it, and here's what I came up with:
  • massive arbors--no, too ambitious
  • towering mountain trees--still using trees. can't think of another word for trees. argh.
  • huge leafy monsters--not good, kind of scary. yikes. very 8th grader, though.
All right, I will say that I didn't put forth my best efforts here (nor did I consult a thesaurus. It's too late at night and I am sleeeeeeepy). But I didn't want to take all the good ones. What've you got? C'mon, don't be shy. Maybe there are prizes. (Maybe not).

And to be clear, they are truly called "Big Trees"--my in-laws didn't make it up--or, the most fitting name (you can't use it) "Giant Sequoias".

I am prepared to be impressed. Comment away!

3 comments:

amydear said...

Okay, you probably won't get many entries, so here's mine. I thought of it on my run this morning. Prepare to be amazed:

TOWERING TIMBERS

Thank you very much! What's my prize? I'll take your cast off clothing. : )

Polliwog said...

Oooh, I like it! Alliterative AND clever. I knew someone would come up with something good, but I'll admit, I was sweating it after a whole day with not a single comment. Thanks for saving me from utter humiliation, Amy. ;)

DawnTreader said...

Collossal woody vegetation . . . ?Admittedly unpoetic and functional. You asked.