Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's never easy

Pinpointing the root of my exhaustion last night was difficult. We began in Fresno, we ended in Salt Lake City--seemed simple enough. In fact, things went pretty smoothly, considering I was flying alone with two small children. I really was worn out, though, and looking back I can see why.

First of all, I abhor knowing the journey could have taken me 2/3 less time. I mean, a direct flight isn't even an hour and a half. But, of course, it would have cost twice as much. I'd much rather have something fun with that $400, I reasoned. And I guess I would; but if you'd asked me last night, I may have made a different choice. Here's why:

First we spent way too much time in the Fresno airport because 1)D had to drop us off before work and 2) There wasn't a single person in line to check in or go through security (I know, I know, why am I complaining?).

Next we flew to Phoenix, where we had a 2 hour layover. Here's the fun part--after a loooong walk to our gate and a greasy lunch of Pizza Hut, Chatterbox asked if there was a "super fun play place". We did have over an hour to kill, so I admitted that there was a play place ... all the way back where we had disembarked in the first place. So back we trudged--picture me lugging a rolling bag, pushing a stroller weighed down by a toddler and a small suitcase, and trying to hold Chatterbox's hand the whole way. They played for awhile before C-box, holding herself, said she had to go potty again. (Total trips to the potty: 5!!) The bathroom right there was "closed for a security inspection", so I put her off. 30 minutes later it was time to make the interminable walk back to our gate. The potty was still closed for a security inspection (can it really take that long? What are they inspecting in there anyway, the piping?) so we hit one on the way. Our gate was, of course, the last one down a very long hallway, and when we got there it turned out it had been changed--to the end of a different long hallway. At this point, C-box kept crying, "My legs! My legs are hurting. They are so tired." I'd love to say I carried her, but I am not Wonder Mom. Thankfully, she bucked up and we got to the gate.

The rest is your typical flying experience. We had hovering flight attendants (what is it with US Airways?) who zoomed over to tell me off the second I set Smidget (18 month lap child) next to her sister. (I only did this when I needed my hands free, for example to set up the dvd player for them). Gimme a break!

Bags took 35 minutes to come; we hit traffic on I-15 on the way home; Smidget lost it in the car. But hey, not a single poopy diaper, no spilled drinks, no rude looks or comments and no lost toys, so maybe we came out on the up side. Still, my friend fatigue hung around the rest of the day. Why can't it ever be easy?

2 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

Yikes! It just gives you something to look forward to at the end of the trip, right ;-).

Kelly(M&M) said...

As someone who just flew along with children, I can definitely empathize. I am always amazed when I am holding an infant, trying to open an stroller, and no one offers to help. Just think, your running through the airport was another day of training. :-) Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking about you. Have an awesome run!! Can't wait to hear!