Thursday, September 20, 2007

Celebrating September with a Book Review!

My mother was a former junior high English teacher. (Interestingly, of the first four of us who have graduated from college, 3 have English majors and 1 an English minor!) She embedded in me a passion for reading, primarily fiction, and especially taught me to love quality books. Our bookshelves were packed with Newbery Medal and Honor winners, with the occasional Babysitter's Club stuck in between. The need to read at least these books each year was solidified as I began my training to be an English teacher, and I stuck with it for 6 years of teaching. Now, as a parent, I still try to keep up on the Newbery award winners, so I can guide my girls to excellent literature. I just completed this year's winner, The Higher Power of Lucky and one of the honor books, Hattie Big Sky.

Here are my thoughts:

First, if I were comparing just these two books and trying to decide which would receive the Newbery Medal, I would have chosen Hattie Big Sky, hands down. I can't even see any comparison between the two. I found Lucky to be confusing, with too many quirky characters to keep track of, let alone relate to. It was as if the author was trying to create a persona that every troubled soul in America could identify with. I guess I don't have enough troubles--or enough imagination--to appreciate it. It was a cute story, (unbelievable, but cute) but I had to force myself to read another chapter each night.

Hattie Big Sky, on the other hand, was a beautiful book, chock full of figurative language, but more importantly with a plot! I laughed, I cried, I stayed up late two nights in a row when I should have been getting crucial marathon-preparation sleep, to finish this book. If you liked Mrs. Mike, These Is My Words, or Anne of Green Gables, you will enjoy this book. It is historical fiction and, I think, destined to be a children's literature classic. (And don't let the term children's literature throw you. I think most adult women would enjoy this book--if they like reading fiction, that is).


I still have two other Honor books to read. I'll let you know what I think, however I already feel that it will be tough to beat Hattie.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Oh I love hearing about good books for me, and especially for my nine-year old daughter. This sounds like it fits the bill pretty well. Thanks for that.

p.s. I love your new template. How did you do it? Do tell.

Cluff Family said...

Looks like the templates are working again. What happenend last time?

Polliwog said...

Lori, I'm still having problems with your site. Too bad, because I think they are better (easier to read the text). Everyone there is sending her messages about the photobucket problem.

Chelle, check out matiekay.blogspot.com That's where this template is from.