People often lament about the sorry state our world is in these days--the crime, the lack of morals, ... you've heard the list. Well, twice in two days I have stopped dead and wondered what was happening to society, so shocked was I by the things I heard and saw.
The first happened last evening. Here I sat, clicking away at the keyboard, blissfully surfing the www, while D did the flipping thing with the remote control. Without warning, my ears were assaulted by what may be the worst singing since American Idol broadcast its auditions. The dreadful tune was courtesy of David Hasselhoff, belting his little heart out on "America's Got Talent", subtitled "But David Hasselhoff does not". Oh, I cringed and blushed for him. And to top off this painfully surprising moment of television, the producers actually put his fellow judges on the spot and asked them to comment. In my shocked stupor I waited to hear what they had to say. There was an uncomfortable delay, followed by--you guessed it--flat-out lies. Sharon Osbourne even went so far as to use the word "fantastic" or a similar over-reaching synonym. But what else could she have said?
Then, this morning, my girls and I were shopping in SaveMart. I hurriedly grabbed a jar of hot fudge sauce from the shelf, and as I rounded the corner toward the check stand my eye caught a surprising display. My jaw dropped when I realized that before me was a large display of men''s neckties, and (this was even more astonishing) a customer was perusing them! I had no idea one could purchase a necktie at a grocery store. They were quite hideous, mind you, don't go expecting style, but they were there. Something felt very wrong with this moment--I rushed away without getting a better look (I regret it now).
Though there are certainly more disastrous things to complain of, I've gotten used to them. I expect murder, mayhem and craziness. But the situational irony provided by the tube and the unforeseen apparel at the grocery store . . . now that will really throw a girl for a loop!
1 comment:
It's a pity you didn't get a better look at the tie-peruser. Perhaps it was Mr. Hasselhoff himself.
Post a Comment