Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Christmas Is ... Music!


I didn't realize when I married him that D was a Scrooge. I spent 8 blissful months unaware of his defect. When our first Christmas together rolled around and I asked him when he'd like to go get our tree, the bomb dropped. "We don't need a tree, do we?" he asked in complete seriousness. You can bet I didn't go for that! I can't actually remember anything else about the argument (probably my fuming anger has erased the memory). Except that we did have a tree that year (and the next). But when we moved to San Francisco, there was no room for anything but a tabletop version, so I gave it up altogether. Four years later, in Michigan, we still opted not to get a tree seeing as we spent the better part of the holiday hundreds of miles away. So a whole seven Christmases of non-tree decorating have passed. Imagine my surprise this year when D told me he wanted to splurge on a Costco pre-lit tree. We had it up and decorated the day after Thanksgiving. So much for Scrooge!

I feel the spirit at Christmas through music and generally have songs blasting all day long. Doing housework, baking, or reading are all better with the Christmas tree lit and some tunes in the background. Some of the songs I love most are:
  1. "It's the Holiday Season" by Andy Williams. This song sends me back to my childhood where I and my two younger brothers would play the record (yes, RECORD) and spin in circles until we fell over with dizzy headaches.
  2. "Baby It's Cold Outside" and "Some Children See Him" from James Taylor's At Christmas album. The first is just fun and the second reminds me of the Creche program in Ann Arbor, though I prefer James Taylor's version to almost anyone's.
  3. "River" and "In the Bleak Midwinter" from Sarah McLachlin's album, Wintersong. Her voice is so rich and haunting--well suited to depressing, aching melodies.
  4. "Born on A New Day" by The King's Singers. The first song I ever heard from The King's Singers was "New Day" and that's when I was hooked. New words have made that song into an extremely touching Christmas song.
  5. "Little Drummer Boy" from Josh Groban's album Noel. I treat myself to a new Christmas cd each year. Groban did not disappoint. I was unfamiliar with him prior to this cd, but I am now a fan.
  6. "Winter Weather" an older, jazzy tune by Peggy Lee, Art Lund And Benny Goodman With His Orchestra. When Chatterbox was 4-6 weeks old I would dance her around to this song to keep her happy.
  7. "When Christmas Comes to Town" from the Polar Express album. It always makes me cry and subsequently feel overwhelmed with gratitude.
  8. "The Little Christmas Tree" sung by Nat King Cole. That man can croon! This is another one I sang to a brand-new Chatterbox in 2003.
  9. "Candlelight Carol" from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. My a capella choir sang this song every year at Christmas and I will love it and the alto part forever.
Do you like any of these same songs? Do you have other favorites? Tis the season of giving, so share a title with us!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you heard of the Gibbons Family? I don't know if I spelled it right or not, but they have a Christmas CD that is a new discovery for me called Let Us Adore Him. They blend nicely.

Maren Hansen said...

We had that same scene play out early in our marriage. I don't know how you went so long without a tree! We bought small and very cheap 6' fake tree when we moved to A2 that didn't smell as nice, but at least held all our ornament treasures... :) I didn't know that Sarah had a Christmas album out! Talk about out of touch! Guess I know what to get Derek for Christmas now! :)

Ken and Amy said...

Congratulations on finally getting your tree and for doing it right the first time getting a pre-lit one! However, we love the smell of the real tree, so we are stuck putting on the lights every year. But if we ever convert to the fake tree....it's pre-lit all the way!

Nancy Clark said...

Harry Connick Jr. has some great Christmas tunes. Your tree looks beautiful!

Courtney said...

I always have the Christmas music playing while doing the household jobs. Dan and I both are big-time Christmas lovers; we listen to the music earlier than most.

I remember you saying last year how you preferred James Taylor's rendition of "Some Children See Him." I love his music and style but I still think Jennifer Larson has the most beautiful, clear, controlled voice I've ever heard, and I was in heaven listening to her sing that song. I haven't heard any recording that compares for me. Speaking of, what good memories I have of singing with you and the rest in Ann Arbor (except for that silliness last year : ). Also, have you heard the "Baby it's Cold Outside" with those two jazz greats (I can't remember their name)? It's classic!

Polliwog said...

Oh, yeah, Harry! How do I not have his album? I'll have to put him on my list for next year. Thanks, Nancy.

Courtney, great to hear from you! Hope the baby's well. I loved singing in that group too. I found my music this year in the Christmas box and it made me a little nostalgic.

Susie said...

Just tuned in after over a week of absence. Love your tune suggestions. I love The Carpenters Christmas album. Every time I hear her smooth alto I can't help but think of hot chocolate.
Loved the booger post too - I probably don't have to tell you that my kids are avid booger-eaters. I say, as a mom you just have to pick your battles. No pun intended.

amydear said...

I love your new tree! How fun to have a full-size one after years of going without. We love a variety of Christmas tunes, but I remember both Carpenters and Anne Murray from growing up (the records!!). I still want to pick up that James Taylor cd. Maybe it will pop up in my stocking.

Lanes said...

I have to say that I love Neil Diamond's Christms album, I know, you are thinking how lame I am. Can't help the love.

DawnTreader said...

Try Sufjan Stevens' EP boxed set. It's great.

Kierstin said...

I agree how everything is better when the Christmas tree is up. That is why I put our tree up the weekend after Halloween this year. Your tree is beautiful. It looks a lot more real then our Wal-mart pre-lit special.