I have never been a fan of sugar cookies. Lots of my friends would crave those Grandma's pink frosted vending machine cookies. No thank you. Give me a decadent chocolate dessert any day but please, no sugar cookies.
I do, however, have fond memories of decorating them at Christmas long, long, ago. I wasn't quite sure why my only such memories are from so far back. That is, until I attempted a similar Holiday Memory Moment yesterday. (You must understand, I would never have embarked on this venture if my four year old hadn't been pestering me for four days straight.) Ah, now I see why my mom gave up on this tradition fairly early in my childhood. It is finally coming clear to me why my frosting decorator tips had to be dusted off and were almost rusty from disuse. And, oh yeah, why I always sized up the holiday sugar cookie givers with a quick are-you-crazy? look.
To sum it up, sugar cookies 1) take forever to make, refrigerate, roll, cut, bake, and cool 2) take another forever to frost (that is, after you've made and colored several bowls of frosting) 3) create a massive mess that you are just too tired to deal with after decorating a billion cookies, and 4) are a huge temptation. What?! I don't even like these things and yet I keep nibbling until even a glass of milk can't wash away the sugar taste in the back of my throat. I will NOT be making sugar cookies again in the near future.
9 comments:
I couldn't agree more. I guess it's just another one of those things we'll keep doing for our kids. And husbands, in my case. Mine LOVES them - and thankfully, he eats most of them, too.
Yup, I'm with you. Sugar cookies is a two day process. But I do like eating them. Are you eating sweets these days? I'm thinking about going dessert free in January just to see what it feels like. These last 4-5 pound of fat don't seem to be budging. I'm sure giving up sweets would do it.
amy--Yes, unfortunately, I am eating sweets these days. Luckily living where I do means we don't get any treats from neighbors, so that cuts things down significantly. I like your idea of dessert free in January. Trying to do it now is just setting myself up for a fall. I should never have started up again. Argh. Maybe we should do it together and report. ;)
Aw, I love that tradition. And I just use the Betty Crocker mix. Much faster and it makes a much smaller batch. Less mess, less to eat later. :)
I love love decorating sugar cookies, sorry. It is the girls absolute favorite thing about Christmas, I think they are more excited about that than their presents. I always eat way too many even though I don't really like them as much as other treats. But they're so pretty. . .
We had a cookie decorating party last week, and all day when I was cooking them I kept asking myself "why!". It is fun, but a lot of work.
Anna
sugar cookies=no good
gingerbread=goodness galore
I will show you the way of cookie decorating when you come for Christmas
Hey Emily. I found your blog via Michelle burns blog. I am going to add yours to mine if that's ok. Dodgeparty.blogspot.com is ours. I hope you guys are loving California. we miss you!
Angie Dodge
Angie! I'll link you too. I'm so glad you found me :)
Post a Comment