Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Special Gift

Santa brought us something unique this year. I hesitate to tell you about it, for fear of making you envious ... but okay, if you insist. This year, to set it apart from any other, we were left -- the stomach flu!! It actually didn't rear its ugly head until this morning (Dec. 26) so at least we enjoyed Christmas. Grandpa had it on Christmas Eve, Uncle Jake and his wife and baby on Christmas and Christmas Night, so it wasn't too surprising when my girls started upchucking this morning. Disappointing, yes. Surprising, no. (D and I have been spared thus far.) Almost the entire clan was here on Christmas. We all missed Joe and Karla, D's eldest brother and wife, and their cute kids, but I'm guessing any sadness they may have felt at not being able to join us is relieved when they read this post. Nobody wants the stomach flu on Christmas. Ick.

In all seriousness, the girls actually did get a very special gift this year. D and his dad made them a doll house. D got the plans online and spent multiple hours on many weekends out in the shop putting it all together. Then we spent several evenings painting and painting and painting it. He and I were both so sick of the project by the time we finished it, but it turned out beautiful--and big!--and the girls love it.



I think the highlight of my Christmas season was our ward choir's performance. It was my first year as choir director and the ward (church congregation) I am in is pretty small. But our choir turnout rivaled most other wards I've seen (not too many left in the audience, but that's okay). They sounded great too. Most importantly, I really felt the joy of Christmas and gratitude to my Savior as they sang. It was a simple but lovely experience.

I hope your holiday was fabulous. We spent this morning nursing sick kids and pulling down Christmas decorations. I'm ready for a new year with lists of resolutions and new possibilities. Bring on 2008! Oh, and 2007 can keep its stomach flu.

13 comments:

Maren Hansen said...

I am so sorry to hear you guys got this... We had the upchucks at Thanksgiving last year, then bronchitis all around at Christmas that same year. Finally, I didn't get to go running on Christmas morning as I was so excited to do, unless you count running to the porcelain throne. So I can empathize. And pray that you and D will be spared joining in the festivities... :)

Angie said...

That is very lucky that you and D dind't catch it. Many people back here have had it and I have been luck enough to avoid it (knock on wood). That doll house is adorable. That is something that the girls will always remember.
Angie

Joe said...

Karla, Zack, Zane, Zoey, Quinn and I are sooooo sorry you guys got so sick. If we could have been there with you guys we would have gladly taken it in the chin for the team. Love the pictures... %)

Polliwog said...

Joe, you are a better man than I! I keep my distance from the stomach flu. Yikes. We really have missed you guys, though. Hope your holiday was great.

amydear said...

I'm glad you posted pics of the dollhouse. I've been thinking about it. The paint job looks very first-rate. Good job, D! Have fun in the Beehive state.

Suzie Petunia said...

The flu! Oh my, I am so sorry!

Emily said...

The Flu? Yuck! Sorry about that!

LOVE the doll house. It is Beautiful! A little girls dream.

Ok, so I know you are a woman of many talents but had no idea you were musically astute as well. I have been singing in our Ward Choir since we moved to TX. LOVE it. It has been a wonderful experience for me (and I think I am getting a little better, too). You never cease to amaze me girl.

Paige said...

Oh, you poor, poor thing. I am so sorry. Not as sorry as I am for the poor couple that had a puking BABY, but sorry none the less. I hope you and D escape it and that the sickies stay in 2007!

Lanes said...

That is a fabulous dollhouse. Way to go you two! This was the first year that none of us was sick, I couldn't even believe it. I've just come to expect it! I hope you and D didn't get it.

Polliwog said...

Since several of you asked, D and I never got it, though Mark and Elisabeth, who were staying in our house, did. (Sorry guys!)

Angie said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! I hope you guys were able to do something fun and that the girls weren't sick anymore. Your holiday card should be there soon. Sorry we didn't get it to you before now!

Crystal and Jake said...

The Holiday Cheer continues to spread, it appears that we came home and gave the flu to my family, who all have it this week.

Kierstin said...

That's too bad for your family, but the girls looked like they enjoyed their Christmas present.

On another note, did you publish "21 Days Closer to Christ" with Deseret Book (the program we did in Ann Arbor) or is their another Emily Freeman? I am anxiously awaiting your next publishing. Talented!!