Whew! I love the Christmas season, but I think the New Year comes in a very close second as my favorite holiday. For one thing, the exhilaration of clearing away every piece of holiday paraphernalia that has accumulated mysteriously in any open space in my house is incomparable. Four red Rubbermaid bins and several recycling bin/garbage trips later I'm feeling good. Also, I seem to get a supehero-ish zap of energy ready to power me with massive success into my New Year's Resolutions.
Yes, I am a Resolutionist. I firmly believe in setting goals at the beginning of every year. It's quite a process for me. I start by brainstorming all the things I would like to see happen this year. Then I envision the ways I'd like to change. Then the paper comes out and I jot down categories--physical, spiritual, emotional, mother, wife, self--and set a couple of goals for each. I try to make them manageable. If you're a skeptic, you're thinking (rudely, I might add) "Yeah, but does she actually accomplish any of these goals?"
The answer is yes. And no. Last year I managed to go without refined sugar for 8 months (why I ever stopped that goal is beyond me). But to me, accomplishment is not necessarily the point. For all the goals I've set and not achieved (and there are far too many for me to ever count), I still feel that I've grown. Sometimes I don't get much further than writing them on a paper. Sometimes my energy carries me through a few months. Whatever the success rate, I must be better off for trying. At least that's my (unproven) theory. :)
Anyway, hooray for January, the month I can feel like Superwoman temporarily. Now I'm off to tackle a resolution or two.
10 comments:
I am so impressed, Emily. I know that for me, just writing things out and seeing them on paper makes them seem that much more do-able. Good luck with everything you set your heart to!
You've inspired me. Taking action seems to come easily to me, but you've reminded me that writing goals down gives me the endurance to carry them out to the end. Otherwise I forget what I set out to do in the first place... like my very cliche goal of losing 15 pounds in the next 6 months. Wish me luck.
Good luck, Susie! I highly recommend dropping refined sugar, if you can manage it. 22 pounds lost in 8 months! Why, oh why, didn't I just stick to it? ;) Well, here I go again. I'm 2 days sugar free. (Is there a Sugarholics Anonymous meeting anywhere?)
22 pounds? So the sugar thing I can do. But you can't tell me that training for half and full marathons didn't help. Just a little bit? And that, I'm afraid, I simply cannot do.
Yes, I'm sure the running (and the weaning) had a lot to do with it, but marathon training is actually not a recipe for diet success. You simply have to eat A LOT to keep your energy. I think running 5 miles (or any consistent exercise where you burn enough calories) is just as good for weight loss. I am trying to kick my booty in gear and get myself back on the exercise track after the holidays. Yikes.
I still worship you for that no-refined-sugar kick last year. I don't know that I could do even a day. Sugar is my therapy. Like Kirsten Lortz, I run more so I can eat more, and often that means more sugary goodness... :)
I'm starting week two, Polliwog, so we can be sugar-free together! I'm hoping for a mere 4-5 pounds, not 22, and I think it will happen. Hooray for January! But not Michigan weather in January, although it was 60 degrees the last two days. Of course, it was rainy and cloudy too.
How do you find out what all the foods are that contain refined sugar? I think that is a good one that I should give up to get me through my last semester of college! Maybe I won't be so tired without all of that crazy sugar!
I love January too. Such a refreshing "I can do ANYTHING!" feeling. My physical goal is just to focus on getting enough veggies and fruits everyday. I figure (if what the Berenstain Bears say is true) that filling up with the good stuff will not leave as much room for the bad! I'm a bit of a rebellious spirit when it comes to saying I CAN'T do something. (: And hopefully I can ward off the family cancer longer.
I liked Maren's comment for mentioning me but, I have to say, I haven't had much of an appetite since the marathon. Also, I was in Tennessee for 4 days and didnt' eat any sweets and now I don't crave then anymore. I made treats last night, ate half of mine, and gave the rest to Tim. It really is true that if you go without them periodically, you lose your taste for them. However, I truly advocate the moderation in all things theory. I say better a little treat than no treat at all- if you can keep yourself in check.
Post a Comment