1) Your clothes hang in your closet color-coordinated.
2) You are, single-handedly, keeping Rubbermaid in business. (This is evidenced by the copious bins of all sizes which will be found in any cupboard or closet you might open.)
3) You have three or more calendars in use (and they are purchased by September of the year prior)
4) The mere thought of binders, plastic pages, and other office supplies in general elevates your heart rate.
5) There's just something about a little check mark in a box that says "My world is right".
Please comment if you are an OF. Also, feel free to add your own requirements to this list. It is in NO WAY all-inclusive. :)
I'll share one of my favorite organization tips here:
One of my indulgences is hair accessories for my girls. I will pick these up anywhere I see them--the vast majority of them have come from Gymboree, but I also have billions of tiny colored clippies and elastics. For a while I kept them in a clear Ziploc bag, but as my collection grew exponentially, doing hair and finding the proper colored clips was taking way too much time. And little girls won't sit still for that kind of nonsense. In desperation, I asked D for help. He handed over a fishing tackle-type box he'd had for dental school, but which he no longer needed. Voila! Our problem was solved, our clips are color-coordinated, and we've been using this box with raging success now for about 3 years.
Also with regards to hair combing, I keep a squirt bottle, rattail combs (3 so I'm never without), a tiny bottle of hairspray, and some detangling solution in a little pink basket (Easter special at Target) so I can grab it and take it to any part of the house--and return it to its rightful spot quickly--on demand. At the end of the day, I remove the hair accessories and drop them into the pink basket. Every week, I put the clippies back into the organized box.
I also love these purple and pink bins I picked up at Target. They sit in the closet; each girl has her own. The top shelf holds tights, the next holds socks and the bottom holds shoes. My favorite part of this organization is that I can train my kids to independently get and put away their own things. It saves me so much time and effort.
Hey, wouldn't this make a fascinating topic for you to do a post on? I'm always looking for new tips or ideas--I'll be roaming your blogs hoping for some.
16 comments:
Hey "Em" I am so excited to find your blog! I am a rookie to the blogging world...but very excited about getting one started. I want to add you to my list of friends, I just need your email address. (My email is cherhayes@hotmail.com if you want to be added just sent me yours.) Your little girls are so darling, and congrats on adding to the fam! I hope you are feeling better. I ran into your mom and sister at Target around Christmas time...it was so fun to see them. I'm excited to keep in touch with you! And, yes my heart does race at the thought of plastic containers, baskets, and dividers of any kind. :) Loved your tips...I'll have to think of some to share.
I am an OF as well. Or at least I try to be. Sometimes with boys around the house it is hard to be, but I try. I loved your tips!
I would admit to being a partial OF. The kind who buys school supplies whether attending school or not each Fall for the pure delight. My clothes hang colored coordinated, but my books use to be as well. Is considering yourself late if you are not five minutes early a sign of OF or another obsessive behavior?
As a self-diagnosed "on the verge of OCD" organizer, I get giddy at the thought of matching baskets. Yippee! I can't wait for a new house to put new organizing things in. This house is about driving me CRAZY. I think we've outgrown it. My tip is to go through papers often and recycle them once they're no longer needed. I also have a basket at the bottom of the stairs for things that need to be taken upstairs. This is where I find most of our hair clips. Your system is much better!
I used to be super-organized (OCD-like) but lost it this past year. I feel like I just move things around now. Ironically, yesterday I picked up "THE QUEEN OF CLEAN CONQUERS CLUTTER" from the library. Wish me luck! We're moving so that is a good excuse.
I love your tip about hair clip box. I know Ken has one of those tackle boxes around here somewhere that would definately be better served as a clip box. I'll have to find it!
Here's my tip (and you probably already do this because you are so on top of things)...I have a "Needs Attention" folder in my desk that I put all of the papers/mail/whatever that needs attention and then I got through that file one a week. That way it is put away not collection clutter on my desk, yet gets taken care of later when I have time!
You're telling me the girls have never opened that clip holding device and thrown them all around, put 20 clips on each dolls hair, or refused clips in their own hair? Lucky Mommy...
This is a great blog idea! I am going to think of this one and post some ideas on my blog. This would be a cool idea for a blog site to have people post their best organization, cleaning, and time saving tips. We all have to help each other right!
Only once have the girls made the serious blunder of playing with the clippies. They now know better and, with my permission, will pick a few to play with while I do their hair. I guess the wrath of an OF when their system is messed with is too formidable! :)
I have been inspired! Thanks for all your great organizing ideas. I love the hair basket idea. I wish I was more of an OF.
Anna
Funny, last week I organized my pantry and took pics of it to post on my blog. Soon to come...
I love that others love plastic bins.. Andrew thinks it is my one indulgence in life.. And who knew that others color sort there closets... I knew I loved you for some reason E.
Michelle
Hey, hey old roomie. Fun to find your blog. I am definitely an OF too and I found this post highly entertaining.
I will be back to see what you have been up to.
Hey, so I'm new to your blog, and it's way cute! So is it sad when yor favorite gift you got for Christmas is a lable maker, and you fall asleep thinking of different things to label? Also is it bad to get giddy when you see plastic bins on sale at Target, then buy them only to realize that you already have ten empty ones in your storage closet?
Anyway I think you get the picture!
Hi Liz, and thanks for stopping by. I have made a rule for myself (due to similar overshopping on the bins)--I can only buy a new bin when I have a plan to fill it. ;) Working, so far.
Yep, I'm OCD too. Derek likes to ask me every now and then what sort of things bug me that I'm not telling him about (so as to maintain the peace in our marriage). He nags and nags until he gets one out of me--like how I like the towels hung a certain way. How I have to park the car a certain distance from the guardrail on our dead end. Last but certainly not least, how I cannot abide crumbs in bed. I thought these were just facts of life... :) One of these days he'll be sorry he keeps asking. As for Rubbermaid, just ask Trisha. I keep them in business. I must have a whole eco-house worth of recyclable plastic in my basement. And that's not counting all the storage in the linen closet, bathrooms, and kitchen!!
Post a Comment