Well, I am now a wealth of information if any of you find yourselves in a position to teach 3-5 year olds about the five senses or community helpers. I'm sure this will really pad my already extensive resume. That's the good news. The bad news is, after teaching just 2 weeks of Chatterbox's preschool, I have decided that I will never, ever, EVER do it again.
When I tell people I taught 8th grade for 6 years, their eyebrows generally raise in an "are-you -insane-why-would-you-subject-
yourself-to-such-a-hellish-misery-every-day" kind of look. I never understood that look--I absolutely loved the job and even now frequently long to be doing it (part-time) again.
I understand that look now. It is the kind of look I will give anyone who tells me they teach preschool (or kindergarten). What I find most difficult is the neediness of every single child (including my own) throughout the day. One hates the stations and does the fastest, crappiest (pardon my French) work just to be done. Another is slow and deliberate to the point of me wanting to wind him up so he'll start moving again. One is whiny, one is mean. One is clingy, one is scared. One wants her mommy. One wants to do kung-fu on everybody's head. You name it. The problem with teaching a group like this for such a short amount of time is that you don't get to know the kids well enough to really love them. And that kind of compassionate adoration of all preschool children just doesn't come naturally to me. I have to warm up.
Anyway, after one more teaching day tomorrow and four days of aiding, I'm opting for paying off the rest of my days monetarily (thank goodness it's an alternative!) And hooray for all of you preschool or primary grade teachers out there. You are angelic and it's a lucky thing for the children of the world (and many of their mothers!) that you are so good at what you do.
8 comments:
You crack me up! It is parents just like you that keep women like me in business! Thank goodness we aren't all cut out for the same things. Your resume is extensive enough anyway. Thanks for the great post! Sounds like you need a nap!
Oh honey, I hear ya loud and clear. I am so glad that there are good people out there willing to teach my children in a group setting because I was not cut out for.
I am laughing so hard right now. I love this post! We are teaching the 3 year olds in primary now. They are wonderful, but prove to be challenging. I am looking for new ways to handle the children and engage their interest. I'm not doing it so far. Any tips from your week of hell? Let me know!
So funny. I just finished teaching Anna's preschool this week (only two days, though) and it was my best experience in the 1 1/2 years I've been doing it! You can bet, though, that I will be shipping my 3 girls off to Polliwog's boarding school as soon as they turn 13. I'm so scared I'm shaking, and I've still got 8 years!
So, worse than Joy School, I take it. Thank goodness for the payment option. I'm sure that's a check you'll gladly write!
Oh, so much worse than Joy School. More prep, b/c there isn't a set curriculum (at least I enjoy that part) but then 10 kids, 9 of whom I have absolutely no relationship with. Plus, I don't think all of the moms are as structured as the 4 of us were. I still think it's a great school for C-box. Just not how I want to spend my time ;)
Give me the whiny 3-4 year olds anyday and you can take the 8th graders with attitudes! I loved teaching preschool back in the day! It does help when you know the kids and have compassion for them. If you don't have the love, then YES they will drive you crazy!
Oh I feel your pain! I volunteer in P's K class once a week and Oh My! I work at the "centers" and the same kids must be in all classes. I don't know how the teacher puts up with the noise, the nose picking, the weird smells and all the other stuff. I will take 7th grade science ANY day!
Post a Comment