I've been without a working sewing machine for far too long. My Singer (insert your favorite swear words or substitutes) quit working several months before we left Michigan. I kept meaning to take it in for an estimate but never got around to it. Until last week. While in Utah for the holidays, I stopped by Pine Needles, a fabulous quilter's paradise at Gardner Village, and came home with a fun new project to embark on. (Plus I have 3 valentine's projects in the works from last year that I MUST finish before February.) So, with fresh motivation, I hauled that heavy sucker in and got an estimate. What?! A mere $93. was the price to freshen up the machine, with no guarantee that it would work after its tune up. I almost laughed in the poor shopkeeper's face, but instead mustered a polite, "Um, I only paid $130 for it in the first place," and made a hasty retreat.
That was the vital justification I needed to seal what had already become the all but inevitable outcome in my mind--the purchase of a new (and much better!) machine. I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say, D was supportive, I found an incredible deal on the same machine I had grown to love (my friend Anna's) and so, last Saturday, I jumped on it.
Click here to meet the latest member of the family--my Janome Jem 760. I love her. <devoted sigh> What I love the most is that she has shown me that I'm a much better quilter than I thought. Thanks to her, I now know that most of my mistakes were caused by a wild machine and not having a walking foot. (The walking foot has changed my sewing life forever!) I am almost finished with a valentine's table runner (I'll post a photo when I'm done binding it). I am amazed how much more smoothly the whole project went--I didn't have to unpick anything. (Jan, can you believe it?)
And now Smidget is demanding "Up! Up!" which is my cue to go give the poor little thing some much needed attention before she shoves her hair clippy up my nose completely. Gotta run!
7 comments:
I admit it, I am coveting your new-sewing-machine status. My machine is my mom's old @#@$%#%**@$ Singer, and while it has been good for the most basic of tasks (as long as you get the tension JUST right), it made for some really tricky work on the Michigan quilts. I used Trisha's for part of it, and it was a joyous occasion. Sigh... Maybe I should "drop" mine and take it in for "repairs"...
Old Bessy has been good to me, but I also must admit I would LLOOOVVEE a new machine. Maybe in the after life. I will have to live vicariously through you, Amy L and Anna. I am excited for you. I sewed a quilt the other day on Anna's and it was a snap on her machine! Gotta love it, baby. Have fun!
I'm so happy for you because I remember all of your sewing struggles. I will be getting a new machine someday -- after the house, second car, and all the furniture I've been waiting 10 years for. Until then, just call me Queen of the Seam Ripper. : )
Em, congrats to you and same story here. Estimate for repair almost beat out the price I bought it at. I have been in mourning and then was surprised a couple of days ago with news from my in-laws that one is on the way! Woohoo! I am in seventh heaven and can't wait to start attacking my year old mending pile!!
So happy for you! I looked on the Janome site and didn't see the walking foot attachment, does it have another name? I wish we lived closer so we could quilt together. Don't forget to post your projects when you finish them.
Anna
Sounds fabulous. I have never heard of this brand...it has been several years since I have checked out sewing machines so I am not up on the latest. I am a Bernina loyalist myself and am grateful I invested early in our marriage. This week I have been sewing YW quilts for New Beginnings...although I have had some unpicking to do myself...NOT due to a machine defect. Erg.
YEAH!!! New machines make life ALOT happier and less stressful! Happy sewing!
Post a Comment