that National Pancake Week starts Wednesday?! Mark your calendars, this is truly a momentous week. I'm ashamed to admit that I generally use a mix to make my pancakes, but I'd love it if, in honor of this grand occasion, one of you with a delicious recipe would post it on your blog. I'm up for trying a pancake adventure, even. Let's celebrate this week in style.
On another note, today while quilting I had BYU TV on. Some commercial was playing for the 10th time and Chatterbox wandered in as it began. I caught a woman saying, "Most of us understand the importance of a 72-hour kit ... (blah blah blah)." Minutes later, the commercial was long gone when C-box said, "Mom--do you understand that?" Yikes, I guess I'm getting the 3rd degree from my 4-year old on family preparedness. I am not ready for that!
Later today, she and I brought in 11 bags of groceries (it has been far too long since my last grocery run). I enthusiastically praised her help, saying, "Oh, honey, thank you! You were such a fantastic helper." She looked at me gratefully, then said, completely seriously, "As helpful as a bunny rabbit?" After stifling my chuckles, I assured her that, indeed, she was more helpful than a bunny rabbit. She wanted to know why, so I explained that a bunny rabbit couldn't carry any bags and she had carried 7 or 8. That seemed to satisfy her, so I didn't mention that a bunny rabbit would have hopped, pooped and possibly reproduced all over the house. I'll take a child any day. Although if the rabbit had a cage ...
13 comments:
I will totally be checking back for the ever so brilliant and delicious recipe that someone is going to leave you for pancakes...as for me...I've got nothing.
Even though Joe is the regular pancake maker at our house I occasionally make them too. In honor of your blog and National Pancake Week I did include my favorite on my site! Check it out and if you try it let me know.
A mix? Shameful. We have a Sunday tradition of breakfast for dinner, so we get lots of practice at making pancakes. And please don't tell me that you use store-bought syrup. I suppose I will have to give you a break for being pregnant. In any case, we've got a great recipe for pancakes. However, Rachel is pelting me with pens right now, so I'll have to post it later.
I miss hearing Ellie's wise words.
I have to get my mom's orange pancake recipe for you, but here are some other of our family favorites (I didn't know there was such a thing as a pancake mix until my late 20's):
1-1/4 c SIFTED flour (sift, then measure)
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1 beaten egg
1-1/8 c milk
2 T oil
Mix powdered ingredients together, beat egg and add it to oil and milk, mixing them all together, then pour liquid into flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten.
Bread Crumb Pancakes
1/2 c sour cream
1 c buttermilk
2 eggs beaten well
6 slices of bread (frozen bread is the way to go, cut crusts off and dice bread finely)
Mix together and sift:
3/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
Beat eggs, add sour cream and buttermilk,
Add crumbs and beat slightly
Add sifted ingred and mix thoroughly (don't make batter too thick, add a little milk if it is)
Cook as other pancakes, but since batter is a little thick, be sure to spread them out.
Makes 12-14 pancakes.
Mixture can be frozen for future use.
I am all about pancakes! LOVE EM! I usually use the Favorites recipe. It is my "favorite". Happy pancaking!
I prefer french toast, crepes, or waffles to pancakes, but I'm all about celebrations, so count me in! I love Trader Joe's chocolate baking mix, which makes delectable pancakes. If that's not healthy enough for you, try the TJ's multigrain mix and add in bananas and mini chocolate chips. Those pancakes I love. I'm all about the mix-ins. Where's that ginger recipe of Talli's? Or was it Bethany's?
Wow, you girls are REPRESENTING! Looks like pancakes bring out the best in us. :) Can't wait to cook some breakfast (or dinner, lol). Susie, you have shamed me into trying yours; I'll be waiting for your post.
Amy L, your blogging self is alive and well! Hooray. Thanks for the recipes.
I personally am a big fan of waffles, not so much pancakes. They are ok, but I prefer waffles any day. I have a really good recipe from Keith's mom. If you are interested in a waffle recipe I will send it to you. :)
Angie, Send it along. And I will do my tag, just as soon as I get inspired with something interesting to say. ;) Just so you know I haven't forgotten ...
I really love buttermilk pancakes, but since pancakes are just too akin to dessert, I've tried to find some more nutritious recipes. Here's my favorite whole-grain variety:
Whole-Grain Blueberry Pancakes
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 large eggs
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 1/2 c. milk
1 cup blueberries
Whisk dry ingredients together. Whisk eggs, oil, and milk together in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to second mixture fold in blueberries and let batter stand for about 5 minutes.
Brush a griddle with oil over medium to medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Cook pancakes as you normally would (until edges are set and underside is golden). Flip and cook until cooked through.
Polliwog: don't feel too badly about using mixes. I grew up on them, loved them, and used them for the first few years of my marriage until Tim tried a recipe and we've been sold on making them from scratch every since. I still pass up buying Bisquick at the grocery store with a tinge of longing...
Ok here is the wonderful waffle recipe. I love it and we make it all the time! This is for the full recipe
3 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar (I do a little more)
2/3 C melted butter
4 eggs, separated
2 C milk
Beat egg yolks with milk, add dry ingredients. Add melted butter and fold in stiffly beated egg whites. Bake in waffle iron.
In case you haven't beat any egg whites you do it until you can pull the beaters out and the egg whites curl. If they don't-keep beating!
Ok Polliwog - Did you make pancakes yesterday? If so what kind? Hope you had a great day celebrating! Lots of Love
Not yet. Pancakes (and waffles!) are going to have to wait for the weekend. I'm too busy not enjoying teaching preschool this week. ;)
Post a Comment